Saxophone Forum

by JazzSaxAttack
(14 posts)
19 years ago

growling

I saw that ya'll had a topic on growling a few months ago. I was wondering if ya'll have any tips on it. I try to do it by the directions I found on a web site, but I just can't get it.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by dirk-lo
    (11 posts)

19 years ago

Re: growling

I seem to have an easier time with it on alto, though I don't have a LOT of experience with it on either tenor or alto. I basically sing the line I'm playing at the same time in the back of my throat. I'm thinking about the line and what I would do if I were to sing it to myslef, then just belt the hell out of it. It takes a ton of air and control to keep the intonation up while doing it. I've sometimes felt faint and dizzy after really going at it for a long time. Almost makes me think I could be doing something wrong myself, but the results are in my sound. which is nice. I found this helpful: www.petethomas.co.uk/saxophone-growl.html Eric :-)

Reply To Post AIM ICQ

1. by JazzSaxAttack
      (14 posts)

19 years ago

I try but I choke. I can't seem to put enough air through the horn while singing a note or humming it. I think that was the web site that I got the info from. Thank you so much for the info I will practice a little more and maybe it will come to me.

Reply To Post

1. by dirk-lo
        (11 posts)

19 years ago

That's what I did ;-) Good luck! Eric :-)

Reply To Post AIM ICQ

1. by JazzSaxAttack
          (14 posts)

19 years ago

thanx again

Reply To Post

2. by GordonGekko
        (27 posts)

19 years ago

I know this sounds wierd, but I actually gargle and blow air at the same time. In the lower register, with some control it makes a really raunchy sound. Not for all types of music, but it sounds cool on slow blues or raunchy jazz numbers. Regards, GG

Reply To Post