Saxophone Forum

by saxjunkie89
(393 posts)
19 years ago

Mystery Brand

On my soprano, there is no clear indication of what the brand of it is. On the bell is an engraving with " JE Erich" in it. The serial number is YS4061905. The YS makes me think it's a Yamaha or Yanagisawa, with S standing for soprano. THANKS

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by EL Seano
    (255 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Mystery Brand

It is most likely a Yanagisawa, as Yamaha Serial Numbers for soprano are generally like YSS-475, YSS-275, etc.

Reply To Post

1. by saxjunkie89
      (393 posts)

19 years ago

what confuses me is that the list price was $895, although I got it for $500 because it was my birthday and the salesperson at the music store discounted it.

Reply To Post

1. by peter090
        (155 posts)

19 years ago

Perhaps a Jean Erich. This is a play on words for generic. I think it was one of the early cheap imports. The few I've seen were not terrible (much better than the later "cheap horns" were comparable to other decent student horns.

Reply To Post

1. by saxjunkie89
          (393 posts)

19 years ago

So it's a good soprano to start playing soprano on? My private instructor thinks so. All he did was go through the actions on it, and said it was amazing. He himself owns and old 1914 Soprano, which he overhauled himself, and it plays like a dream. Another question is what is a good mouthpiece to advance to playing to on soprano. I currently use the stock mpc. that came with it, but it's horrible. I was given suggestions for a Selmer C*, is that good? Thanks

Reply To Post

2. by saxjunkie89
          (393 posts)

19 years ago

So it's a good soprano to start playing soprano on? My private instructor thinks so. All he did was go through the actions on it, and said it was amazing. He himself owns and old 1914 Soprano, which he overhauled himself, and it plays like a dream. Another question is what is a good mouthpiece to advance to playing to on soprano. I currently use the stock mpc. that came with it, but it's horrible. I was given suggestions for a Selmer C*, is that good? Thanks

Reply To Post

3. by saxjunkie89
          (393 posts)

19 years ago

oops

Reply To Post

4. by Lefty
          (21 posts)

19 years ago

When I worked for a Brook Mays affiliate store, yes, we made the same joke, "gen-eric." It is a Brook Mays proprietary brand, Asian in a very neutral sort of way. The altos were worth the money, but the rest was, well, questionable. $200.00 worth of work by a good t ech will make it worth your overall investment. Lefty

Reply To Post

5. by Lefty
          (21 posts)

19 years ago

When I worked for a Brook Mays affiliate store, yes, we made the same joke, "gen-eric." It is a Brook Mays proprietary brand, Asian in a very neutral sort of way. The altos were worth the money, but the rest was, well, questionable. $200.00 worth of work by a good t ech will make it worth your overall investment. Lefty

Reply To Post