Saxophone Forum

by jazzfool132
(144 posts)
19 years ago

Reference 54 or Mark VI

Hi, I recently traveled to Montreal and was able to visit a few music stores in the area. When I was there, I tried: 5 Mark Vis: 124,xxx; 200,xxx, 240,xxx, and 2 later models with the High F# key. (Not as good) 1 Black Lacquer Super Action 80 Series II 1 Normal Lacquer Super Action 80 Series II 2 Normal Lacquer Super Action 80 Series III 1 unlacquered Yamaha Custom Z 1 Normal Lacquer Yani...not sure of the details on this one. AND... 2 Golden Lacquered Reference 54 horns Of these choices, I preferred the 124,xxx and the 200,xxx Mark VI alto saxophones and the Reference 54 alto saxophone. The 200,xxx Mark VI and the Ref. were both priced around the same at 5200 Canadian dollars. The 124,xxx Mark VI was priced at 6500, however. The sound was alot more open and screamed more on the Mark VI. But, the Reference 54 had a more locked on pitch. I liked the sound of both the horns but I am wondering which horn will be the best choice. Despite the fact that chosing a horn is based on preference, what are some comments on the Mark VI alto saxophone and the new Selmer Reference 54 alto saxophones.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by jazzfool132
    (144 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Reference 54 or Mark VI

By the Way, I understand there are true Mark VI fans out there, but is there anyone who truly believes that the Reference may have beaten the Mark VI or at least compares to one?

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

19 years ago

The Reference series horns are pretty good horns, but they're very over-priced and a bit over-rated. The vintage Mark VI's go for ridiculous money. They're great horns, but there are other great horns that don't cost as much. Why Selmer?

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by jazzfool132
        (144 posts)

19 years ago

I liked the sound they produced. Also, from what I have tried...newer horns seem to be more locked-on intonation wise. I want to try some vintage Conns but I have not been given the chance. I tried Selmers because they are a solid company that produces many good horns. Basically, I trust them to make great playing horns. Don't get me wrong, I think Conn is a great company, however I never tried a 6m. (I am looking for a new alto) You have to agree, the Reference 54 does have a great, solid sound. And the Mark VI is just amazing. Maybe I should try more Conns...they just dont seem to be as popular in music stores...:(

Reply To Post

2. by jamterry
      (573 posts)

19 years ago

I very rarely mention my horns, but this pertains to your query. I have three Mark VI's, two of which I bought new. I also played the 54's which were the first modern tenor and alto I ever played. I liked the 54's very much!!!! If I were to buy a new horn, I would go with the 54. My horns are set up for me, and naturally I am used to them. Ohhhhhhhh, I almost forgot!!!!! DO NOT get a Mark VI with a high F# key!!!!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by jazzfool132
        (144 posts)

19 years ago

Do you prefer your 54 or your Mark VIs? I tried them both but I am torn. Also, which one will last longer. (How is the durability)

Reply To Post

1. by jamterry
          (573 posts)

19 years ago

I tried the 54's. I own VI'S. I wouldn't trade them for any other horn. I think the 54's are way cool!!!! The reason my tenor and alto are mint, is that nobody else has owned them. My soprano I bought a few months ago, and sent it to my tech to set it up. I think the 54's are great!!!! A new horn will last you a lifetime.

1. by jamterry
            (573 posts)

19 years ago

If you want a Mark VI, get one!!! NO HIGH F# KEY!!!!!! Best of luck to you :)

2. by jazzfool132
            (144 posts)

19 years ago

How did u like the feel and sound of the reference 54 horns? Do you think they compare closely to the Mark VIs(w/o F# key)

Reply To Post

3. by jamterry
            (573 posts)

19 years ago

The ref 54 plays as good as my horns!!!!! GET A HARDSHELL CASE!!!!!!! Jam On!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. by jazzfool132
            (144 posts)

19 years ago

How much were the Mark VI alto saxophones when you purchased one brand new?

Reply To Post

5. by jamterry
            (573 posts)

19 years ago

$450. for the alto. $600 for the tenor.

6. by jazzfool132
            (144 posts)

19 years ago

What year was this? Wow, its unbelieveable how much they have gone up in price!!

Reply To Post

7. by jamterry
            (573 posts)

19 years ago

That was 1966 and I was working after school in a candy factory for $1.60/Hr. I had help from my parents and paid them back in a couple years.