Saxophone Forum

by RoYrOy
(51 posts)
9 years ago

Discussing Practice Routines

I've been playing saxophone a year, and I practice about 4 hours a day, but I'm so inconsistent as to what I practice and how I practice it! I know that there are many ways to practice but I just don't know which to stick to? Any suggestions? What do you do? Many times I just play for hours on end. And recently I've been very frustrated because my solos I'm continuously using slurring my notes and I want to practice so that I can separate them instead of just blowing air and letting my fingers do the work. Help!!!!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by jazzfool132
    (144 posts)

9 years ago

Re: Discussing Practice Routines

You practice for 4 hours each and every day? What do you practice and do you have any other experience with other instruments?

Reply To Post

1. by RoYrOy
      (51 posts)

9 years ago

Re: Discussing Practice Routines

Well as to what I practice, I put alot of enfasis on scales, in 2nds 3rds 4ths etc. I work about an hour a day on long tones, and the rest of the time I learn using the real book. I mean you take a song, and you learn to sight read, play arpeggios, solo, etc. That's about all I do, my dicipline has been very bad lately so I start out a practice routine and then in a while I get bored and just start playing around. I mean I know that hitting the shed and practicing technique is vital but personally it's just so boring.

Reply To Post