Saxophone Forum

by perkysquirel
(26 posts)
19 years ago

Help I cant play Low Notes

Im in Highschool and Iv'e had trouble playing low notes ever since the begining. My teacher said it was my mouth piece but I changed to a Selmer C* and i Still have problems is it the Saxophone or me?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by kneejerk52
    (397 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Help I cant play Low Notes

could be either. sometimes you need to try many mpc'c before you find one that works. there may be a leak, esp. e flat pad where all the moisture collects ruins the pad most often and creates leaky pad. this makes it much harder to reach low notes also. or just the need for hours of pratice on long... slow.... low tones... don't give up, have fun

Reply To Post

1. by perkysquirel
      (26 posts)

19 years ago

I tried 3 of them but could it be my Saxophone? Mine isn't that great or that good of a brand its a toyama

Reply To Post

2. by perkysquirel
      (26 posts)

19 years ago

I tried 3 of them but could it be my Saxophone? Mine isn't that great or that good of a brand its a toyama

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Toyama??? Never heard of them. Most likely there's a pad that's not sealing right, but the horn may not be worth fixing. I'd have a tech look at it, and maybe consider buying a better horn.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

3. by kneejerk52
      (397 posts)

19 years ago

i thought they made cars, i couldn't resist jim

Reply To Post

1. by saxjunkie89
        (393 posts)

19 years ago

what kind of sax? Soprano? Alto? Tenor? Bari? If it's the latter, then you're in a whole lotta crap

Reply To Post

1. by Saxon
          (100 posts)

19 years ago

Often difficulty with low notes is an air leak. Go down the scale till you hit one with bad rattly sound and then lay the sax sideways to see if the pad on that one is closing properly. It may be an auxilary pad further up the stack. Check if the auxs are closing properly. Should be a cork pushing them closed on a tab from another key. Sometimes the corks fall off! Sometimes a small leak can be countered by relaxing your jaw and pushing further onto the mpc. You can check a leak by covering the pad with duct tape.

Reply To Post

1. by perkysquirel
            (26 posts)

19 years ago

thanks for all the replies but i have encountered another problem. My Middle C is in tune when anything below that is flat and anything above that is sharp any one have any suggestions to wat i should do and my parents really dont want to buy another sax since i have the tendicy to get carried away with something and then ditch it.

Reply To Post

2. by Saxon
            (100 posts)

19 years ago

sounds like a poor set up at the factory! If the same notes are both sharp and flat then the octave mechanism etc is not set up properly. You'll need to get it properly set up by a repair man. Now we'll see if Toyamas are useable! Good luck!

Reply To Post

3. by perkysquirel
            (26 posts)

19 years ago

ty

Reply To Post