Saxophone Forum

by MDMusicGirl88
(6 posts)
19 years ago

Clarinet to Tenor

To keep it short and sweet: What is the difficulty level of the switch? I've been playing clarinet for 8 years now and suddenly I am being forced to switch instruments my senior year of high school marching band. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks. BTW, I have no desire or motovation at all to play this instrument. I am only staying in band for personal reasons that even if I mentioned you guys wouldn't understand.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by perkysquirel
    (26 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Clarinet to Tenor

i guess it wouldn't b that hard of a switch... but why are u switching the last time i checked clarinet is still in marching band.

Reply To Post

1. by MDMusicGirl88
      (6 posts)

19 years ago

This year we are doing a Latin show and flutes have been switched to auxillary percussion and clarinets are switching to Tenor. I really don't agree with it, but my only other option is quitting.

Reply To Post

1. by perkysquirel
        (26 posts)

19 years ago

Wow i think thats pretty retarded...... but nevertheless i play alto and my friends plays clarenet and i belive the only hard part is which key goes to which button other than that its pretty easy

Reply To Post

1. by MDMusicGirl88
          (6 posts)

19 years ago

yeah, it is pretty retarded, but nothing I can do about it. Anyway, I have a fingering chart, but my main problem is getting the notes out. It just squeaks most of the time.

Reply To Post

2. by perkysquirel
          (26 posts)

19 years ago

u have to losen up ur bottem jaw and blow with fuller air using ur diaghram

Reply To Post

3. by MDMusicGirl88
          (6 posts)

19 years ago

ok, thanks. I'll work on that. It's just a lot different than clarinet, I guess it just takes some getting used to.

Reply To Post

4. by barimachine
          (323 posts)

19 years ago

what school are you at MD music girl? im also a senior in MD

Reply To Post

5. by MDMusicGirl88
          (6 posts)

19 years ago

Catoctin

Reply To Post

6. by tenor562
          (297 posts)

19 years ago

I did the clarinet to tenor move a couple years ago. The fingerings are pretty much the same as your upper register clarinet fingerings are, and the embouchoure is a lot easier. You'll find the technique much easier, as you don't have to cover tone holes with your fingers. I've been picking up the clarinet again to gain some doubling skill for jazz, and its definitely harder than sax. All you need for your change is more air and patience in order to get used to the embouchoure difference. -tenor562

Reply To Post

7. by johnsonfromwisconsin
          (767 posts)

19 years ago

Fingerings are definitely easier, but the extent of the embochure change should not be understated. The saxophone embochure is much more loose, with support from the sides of the mouth. One particular difficulty with the saxophone is the changing resistance of the instrument as you descend it's range, due to it's conical nature. Thus low notes can be particularily difficult to get to respond.

Reply To Post

8. by MDMusicGirl88
          (6 posts)

19 years ago

OK, thanks guys. The tenor is in the shop so I won't have it back until later this week. I guess the embochure is my problem, it's just so different than clarinet. Hopefully I can work on that and get it starightened out by the end of the week since band camp starts next week. But thanks again for the responses.

Reply To Post