Saxophone Forum

by Rachael
(13 posts)
19 years ago

woodwind brasswind

Next week i'm going to wwbw to buy an alto sax...anyone have any suggestions on which ones to try other than the obvious, selmers and yamaha customs...or how many to try of each? thanks

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by BariSaxplyr
    (35 posts)

19 years ago

Re: woodwind brasswind

Hey, yeah just try out the Yamaha 62 and Z series. Don't forget that their listed price is NOT necessarily the selling price. Make sure you try to talk them down, they can almost ALWAYS bring the price down 15%. Their yamaha bari is listed at 6301, they will sell it for 5395. So make sure you dont forget that! Have fun.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

19 years ago

The Yamaha's are a great value. I really like the Keilwerth SX-90's too. What have you been playing? What kind of music do you play?

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by sax_maniac
        (984 posts)

19 years ago

Ditto. Gotta try the SX90. Also - bring your own mouthpiece you are familiar with and try not to do mouthpiece shopping at the same time. Too many variables.

Reply To Post

2. by Rachael
        (13 posts)

19 years ago

I'm going to be a freshman entering Eastern Michigan University, last couple of pieces I have been working on are Concertino Da Camera and the Glazounov Concerto...i'm still playing on a yamaha student right now.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by jamterry
      (573 posts)

19 years ago

Rachael if you can, try two of each. I don't think they will let you blow through their entire stock. I have heard that that some of the new horns might need tuning adjustments. Rachael, no what you buy please have it set by a technician. Rachael make sure you get a hard shell case. Best of luck to you :)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

The Yamaha YAS 62 Series II would be a great sax for you. The Selmer Reference 54 would also be a great choice, but an expensive choice. It's hard to beat the Yamaha for value.

Reply To Post Yahoo!