Saxophone Forum

by mcox
(4 posts)
19 years ago

Vintage Saxophones

this might be a silly question, but why does almost everyone on ebay say their saxophone is "vintage"? It makes it seem like there is a really, really popular manufactorer named "Vintage". Just something to ponder. Matthew

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Vintage Saxophones

Sometimes people call them vintage just because they're old. I think of 3 different catagories of vintage. First, there are the horns made before 1930. There are some decent horns in this catagory; but for most people, they are just too antique, and they're going to need more frequent adjustments, have some intonation concerns, clunky action, etc. They're antiques! Then, there are the horns made from 1930-1960. These are the vintage horns that everyone loves, like the Conn 10M's, the King Zephyrs and Super 20's, Selmer BA, SBA, Mark VI, etc. These horns play fairly well, have good intonation and a great sound. They are the most valuable vintage horns. The third vintage catagory is those horns made from 1960-about 1980. I really hate to think of anything newer than 1980 as vintage because that just makes me feel OLD! But, included in this catagory would be the later Selmer Mark VI's and VII's, early Yanagisawa's and Keilwerths, some Yamaha, etc. Vintage doesn't necessarily mean that it's good or bad. Some vintage horns will cost more than any new horn. It just depends on the make and model and the condition.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by mcox
      (4 posts)

19 years ago

thanks for the info. I think its silly everyone puts "Vintage" on almost anything like Bundys ans Vitos.

Reply To Post

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
        (767 posts)

19 years ago

----------------------------------------------------------------- thanks for the info. I think its silly everyone puts "Vintage" on almost anything like Bundys ans Vitos. ---------------------------------------------------------------------- True, though some old Bundys and Vitos are more than just old student horns (like Keilwerth-made Bundy Specials and Beaugnier-made Vitos)

Reply To Post