Saxophone Forum

by zadge
(10 posts)
19 years ago

Cannonball Saxophones

I am looking for a new sax. I have heard that cannonball saxes are just as good as many well known professional saxophones. But, I have also heard they are crap. I am looking for advice on what would be a good quality sax at a reasonable price.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Cannonball Saxophones

Cannonballs are good saxophones. I had my doubts at first also, but they have come a long ways in the past couple years. I think they're quality control has gotten much better. I think one of the best values right now is the Yamaha YAS (alto) and YTS (tenor) 62 Series II. It's a pro quality horn for an intermediate horn price.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by zadge
      (10 posts)

19 years ago

Thank you for your tips. I was just unsure because I have heard a lot of people say that cannonball aren't worth the money because they are made in taiwan and don't last. I have a yamaha yas student saxophone at the moment, and while that is great for marching band, I am looking to upgrade.

Reply To Post

1. by phathorn
        (165 posts)

19 years ago

hey zadge, dunno if you noticed or not, but Jim referred to a particular model yamaha....the YAS 62 is an AWESOME horn for the money , and was Yamaha's pro horn for years and years....

Reply To Post

1. by zadge
          (10 posts)

19 years ago

Yes yes, I noticed. I just wanted to state that I had a student one, thus why I wanted to upgrade.

Reply To Post

2. by west
          (242 posts)

19 years ago

the 62 is overall better than the 875 or 82z, in my opinion

Reply To Post

3. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

If I was a band student looking for a new sax to get me through highschool and college. I would buy a Yamaha 62. They have a very neutral sound. I would buy an Otto Link New York 7* or a Jody Jazz DV for jazz, rock and blues. If I was looking for a new alto or tenor to play jazz, blues and rock gigs on the weekends, and wanted something with a bright, bold tone, I would consider either the either one of these three; the Keilwerth SX-90R for a more vintage tone, the Yamaha Custom 82Z or the Cannonball Big Bell Global Series.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by i just play
        (16 posts)

19 years ago

Zadge, Cannonballs are excellent saxophones. One of the other replys said that the Yamaha yts-62 is the best value. I would agree with that depending on what your local cannonball dealer is charging for their horns. I picked up a new cannonball for $1700.00 which is $400.00 below the Yamaha. If the prices were equal, The yamaha is a great choice. Of all the horns I tried, it was down to those two. I tried the selmer reference 36 and 54 as well as the Goodson Unison and the cannonball kicked all three of those overpriced butts. The Yamaha was right there. Buy the horn that you like the most and feels the most comfortable in your hands. Don't listen to what web dweebs say. Either one will serve you well. Cheers

Reply To Post

3. by smaart
        (1 post)

18 years ago

i want join in this nice site

Reply To Post

1. by saxs_make_it_happen
          (42 posts)

18 years ago

I recently got a Cannonball Raven alto and MAN I LOVE IT. one thing in particular it isnt made from laquer and it wont scratch and chip, only the keys and inside of the bell are polishedso you gotta take care of them but the body is solid nickel. if you jus look at the horn its beautiful, and my favorite thing is how unique it is. enough about cosmetics, hands down for the price man I say you can't beat it, I bought mine used, 2 or 3 scratches in the bell, and one minor scrape on the bottom of the horn.....$1200 bux. You can't beat the price and the thing is, its actually a great horn! it's the most beautiful sound I've made from an alto. Definately worth a try. I dont see uswing a different alto for a LONG time if I ever do. It really stands out, catches peoples eyes AND ears, and the price is unbeatable. It's got my vote, lol.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by Radjammin
            (255 posts)

18 years ago

I have a Cannonball Big Bell Black Nickel Silver keys. I love mine too and I think it is the best buy for an Alto, way better then the 62 or custom. I bought it for $1400 used and it looked perfect. I recently scratched the bottom part with a belt buckle. I was very sad. I now do not play it with a belt buckle. My poor pretty horn. So I guess be carefull with the black finish. It's not that noticable except to me.... weep. From alot of playing I had one of the Mother of Pearl keys fall off (bis key) I guess for that I miss my real old pearl keys on my 6M. They never fell off.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM