Saxophone Forum

by RoobeDoo
(7 posts)
19 years ago

Anyone willing to offer any helpful advice to a newbie?

Howdy all, firstly I'm new on these boards so if I did something horribly mangled to my post, I do apologise! ... I'm a brit chick thats been ambling around the net for the past few weeks hunting down as much information possible about how to go about buying and choosing a decent quality saxophone, and I figured that it might be worth asking people who know what they're talking about! I've never played any wind instruments before (I grew up as a pianist, been playing since i was six and previously played the violin... and hated it... but never wind instruments) but I'm looking to start playing sax - i've been delaying it mainly because of lack of money, and other commitments, but now i'm focusing more on going about getting a sax - I've arranged lessons to start in september but still haven't got an instrument. So... the first main question was, whats the most cost efficient/ value for money student instrument I'm likely to find? I've been looking more at Yamahas (specifically the YAS275) for the sole reason that I got a Yamaha catologue and (shame on me) got distracted by the shinyness of them... Somewhere along the way my common sense kicked in (telling me to back away from the shinyness NOW) and suggested I think about long term benefits, but I'm at a bit of a loss about that considering I dont know any experienced saxophone players too well, and I admit I'm completely clueless. Researching madly has only led me to the phrase "try before you buy"... but I figured considering I cant PLAY the saxophone, any mangledness from the tone or pitch may well be ME rather than the sax, so that would be a bit pointless, really... I've forgotten the rest of my questions (happens a lot to me... keep getting distracted...) so i may well have to comment on my own post when i remember them... But please, any suggestions would be gratefully recieved (try to remember when you were back starting the sax and as clueless as me, and take pity, please!) so, yeah, please reply :D ta muchly... Roo

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by RoobeDoo
    (7 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Anyone willing to offer any helpful advice to a newbie?

Cant work out how to edit the post (or if its possible!) but I just remembered why i started the post... YAS 23, YAS 275 or Selmer Prelude? Whats the verdict... and to justify my distraction due to shinyness, its probably because I've only once owned my OWN instrument (so please, please PLEASE dont tell me its a good idea to rent!) since i cant afford it, playing the piano and all, and i had to sell that six months ago because it would have cost too much to ship for what it was - a barrat and robinson six octave piano that wasn't good enough for me... but it was mine :( so i'm looking to buy no matter how many people tell me to rent :D... shutting up now so i dont end up talking to myself too much...

Reply To Post

1. by Sax Mom
      (964 posts)

19 years ago

Hey, RoobeDoo, I'm sorry no one has replied to your posts. I have heard good things about the YAS 23 for beginning, so if you want to spend money on it, go ahead. If it were me, I'd go to a band instrument store and ask for help and suggestions, and speak to the person with whom you've arranged lessons. Maybe your first lesson could be to go together to try out horns.

Reply To Post

2. by bobstad6
    (38 posts)

19 years ago

with all of the discussion of saxophones for new players, I'm surprised there isn't more emphasis on mouthpieces and reeds? I like Bari reeds because they are much more difficult to damage, and last indefinitely, never smell like the inside of your shoe when you put them in your mouth, do not need to be played on for 15 minutes to get wet enough to respond correctly, and if you had a mouth piece with a high intensity light bulb inside controlled by a rehostat hidden in your shoe you could lean into to operate, you could make your face light up just like when you were a kid with a flashlight in your mouth, while you were playing. As far as mouthpieces go, it is like making love, versus being attracted to someone. Compare doing what you do to make a sound to what someone does on a trumpet for instance, but without an instrument. Without a saxophone, or any reed instrument, there is silence, the lips close around nothing and seal themselves...and this translates into the beauty we love, and without a flute, blow in someone's ear. But someone who does what a trumpet requires gets what? See what I mean. I have three alto saxophone mouthpieces, a hard rubber Selmer S80 E facing, a stainless steel Berg Larsen 110/1 and a Beechler S2S...I got both the Berg and the Beechler in a bassoon and oboe store, and they had sat there for decades, and had been marked half price almost that long ago and they couldn't get rid of them, so I got a really good deal. I like to switch between the three, not only for the different coloration of the sounds, response and all of that, but also because I go in spurts where I play for awhile, and then am inactive, so the Selmer is a lot easier when the muscles of my embrochure are out of shape, to play on and this allows me to build into say the Beechler, which seems to require more strength to control...the Berg is in a class all of its own and I'm not sure I can analyse it yet...but all three are very interesting, and speak to different emotions and/or differently to similar emotions or feelings...lean back like the rocker on your rocking chair just ran over the cat's tail...be the light at the end of the tunnel...or a car wreck in the middle of it...hear the slap of the shoe shine boy in your tongue on the reed...crawl around with your tongue like a soldier clinging to the ground under assault, and learn the honor in cowardice is to fear to die...too brave to live, but too chicken to get away with dying...the hairy chested grey haired muscular guy who throws you in the pool when you are six and is a terrorist by habit and probabley doesn't even understand this...why do they say the juices from the reeds shrink your frontal lobes...I'd rather have a bruntal phlebotomy

Reply To Post

1. by Sax Mom
      (964 posts)

19 years ago

And what does all this have to do with RoobeDoo's question?

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

uh, NOTICE TO ALL SAX PLAYERS: Remember to BREATHE from time to time while playing, or you just might end up writing long senseless posts about hairy chested gray-haired men throwing people in pools, car wrecks in the middle of tunnels, and licking the ground and waiting to die! Yeah....BREATHE! It's kind of important!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by GzsKerqt
          (77 posts)

19 years ago

haha.. he's talkative for a 54 yr old.

Reply To Post