Saxophone Forum

by tee196
(31 posts)
19 years ago

What Kind of Tenor Sax should I buy if i want a really big sound??

Exactly what title said, I am looking to buy a tenor sax that has a huge sound, my funds are limited, it would be great if the price was 1000 dollars or under. I know this isnt very much, but its what i have to work with. Please reply with any tenor sax with a huge sound regardless of cost though, it'd be good for my knowledge anyway, and could possibly look into saving up more for these brands. Thank You!!!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Lotus54
    (32 posts)

19 years ago

Re: What Kind of Tenor Sax should I buy if i want a really big sound??

I've played a number of the Conn 10M horns, big sound but I don't like the key layout or the intonation very much. I've played an old King Alto I really liked (early 40's?) but never tried a tenor. I currently play a Selmer Reference 36, which I thought has a bigger sound than the Conns or a couple of other vintage horns that have a big sound- plus are in tune and play really well. Of course, the price is way out of what you are looking for... In reality, if you have a big sound, you can sound big on most horns with the right MP/Reed combo for how you play. Open your throat, loosen your jaw a bit, soak the reeds in water well and listen to a bunch of Yusef Lateef and Dexter Gordon. Mark

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

19 years ago

The later 10M's have better intonation than the earlier models, BUT, 10M's are VERY picky about the type of mouthpiece that you use. You have to have a mouthpiece with a fairly long shank and an open chamber. Otto Links work good, and so does the Jody Jazz ESP, which Jody designed with the 10M in mind.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by blackfrancis
    (396 posts)

19 years ago

The 2 biggest sounding horns in my own experience are the Conn 10M and the King Super 20. Shake the very ground. Martin makes a fine sounding sax, and it's been said (no personal knowledge here but sources are reliable) that Keilwerth is along the lines of Conn. Also don't forget that the sound that you get ultimately comes from you.

Reply To Post

1. by blackfrancis
      (396 posts)

19 years ago

Zoot alors! I almost forgot to tell you, if you can't afford a Super 20, look for a Zephyr. If you can't find a good deal on a Zephyr, you can get pretty big sound on a Cleveland.

Reply To Post

2. by chiamac
      (586 posts)

19 years ago

10M (wink wink)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by saxophonik
        (73 posts)

19 years ago

I agree with the 10M, if you can find one for that price and not need to put much $ into repairs. I play "The Martin Tenor", and for me personally, I haven't found a bigger sound. My friend has a Keilwerth, and he gets a HUGE sound. The best way to find what you're looking for is to just play as many horn and mpc. combos as you can. Eventually you'll find the sound you're looking for. I may get some dirty looks for this, but Yamaha 52's and 62's also tend to get a fairly big sound.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Get a Conn 10M; preferably one of the Naked Lady models, an Otto Link Super Tone Master mouthpiece, or a Jody Jazz ESP and you'll have a sound that will make people's hair stand up as the roof crumbles down on top of them, but do be careful....a sound like this can be dangerous! King Super 20's and Zephyrs also sound great, as do some Martins and Bueschers. Yamahas CAN sound good with the right set-up, but they're not going to give you the powerful sound that a Vintage American horn will give you. A Keilwerth or B&S would give you more of a Vintage American tone. While Yanagisawa and Selmer both play very well and are well built horns, they're not going to give you that sound.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by tee196
          (31 posts)

19 years ago

Thanx Guys, looks like a conn 10m would be great, im gonna go surf the net to see where i can find one and for how much. Thank you all so much.

Reply To Post

2. by tee196
        (31 posts)

19 years ago

cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Martin-Imperial-Tenor-Saxophone-Sax_W0QQitemZ7342765680QQcategoryZ16234QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem hey guys -look at this sax and tell me if u think it would be any good. there is also this one... cgi.ebay.com/Cleveland-Tenor-Sax-in-Excellent-Condition_W0QQitemZ7342922855QQcategoryZ16234QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem plz reply in which one u like and why. Thank You all!!

Reply To Post

1. by sax_maniac
          (984 posts)

19 years ago

That King set-up is nice! Having refurbed a number of Clevelands, I'm quite a fan of them - I even like them better than 10M's (which I've thought highly of for a long time and still do). If that Cleveland is really set-up and ready to play, it's BIN price is very fair. I've sent you an email elaborating a bit...

Reply To Post