Saxophone Forum

by ottolink
(1 post)
19 years ago

The octave key...a small issue

I have not been playing saxophone very long, about a year. I'm still having a few problems with note pitch when changing between the lower and upper octave. The saxophone is a quality buy and not a cheap one. Sometimes, when I come down from the high octave to the lower octave, some notes still play at the higher octave, even though the key is released. If I stop blowing momentarily when releasing the key, then everything is fine. Is this caused by resonance in the horn? The break in breath seems to allow the lower notes to play fine. I wonder if the mouthpiece is too open (Otto Link Tone Master Gold Size 6 facing) or reed too soft (Vandoren Classic #2). Or is it a question of poor technique and embouchure? Would a more flexible but thicker #2.5 Vandoren Java reed help? Many thanks.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by TMS1stChair4Eva
    (1 post)

19 years ago

Re: The octave key...a small issue

I had that problem when i first started to and all u have to do is like loosen up ur muscles in ur jaw and it takes alot more breath!!! David

Reply To Post AIM

1. by Skylark
      (27 posts)

19 years ago

Re: The octave key...a small issue

its just takes time to get good at it, like david sayed, just drop ur jaw and add little more air and itell do it. Skyler

Reply To Post