Saxophone Forum

by Skylark
(27 posts)
19 years ago

vintage vito question

my freind has a vintage vito, he says it was his grandfathers and his grandfather go it befo wwII or around there, he just wanted to know how mutch it was worth, he said a guy at a music store offered 5000 for it but i dont know. so some impute would be apreciated.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by kneejerk52
    (397 posts)

19 years ago

Re: vintage vito question

unfortunately there is very little info on older vito horns, serial numbers are not in any public records. i have personally spoken to a gentleman named mike from leblanc, he did help me id. and 1962 vito alto i own, this he said, parts made in france and assembled here in the US. selling price in the us at that time was between 1500-2000 dollars US dollars. so for what it's worth there were some vito, for the most part called VSP vito which were his special models that brought this premium price. they still make pro models that are in the 3000 - 5000 range, don't know how good they are. my alto plays great, my local tech said it was like a yamaha, this is a very highly respected tech. who repairs pro horn for dave libeman, nelson hill and other pro's. so 5000 for a vito it would not suprise me.

Reply To Post

2. by definition
    (963 posts)

19 years ago

Vito was an Italian made horn back then, and were later bought out by other companies. The horns made while they were still their own company are extremely good, and very valulable. Congrats, and tell him to enjoy the horn

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
      (767 posts)

19 years ago

As far as I know (and I reeeeally doubt it) Vito was never Italian made. At times, it was make by Leblanc, Beaugnier, Yanagisawa, and Yamaha. It was never worth $5000. pesos, maybe.

Reply To Post

1. by definition
        (963 posts)

19 years ago

Vito WAS origionally a Italian horn. While I wont personally pay for a real Vito, there are some people that will

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by mossite
          (3 posts)

19 years ago

Sorry, but Vito was never ever an Italian company. Vito Pascucci opened up the American shop for LeBlanc (France). They wanted to have a shop over there, that will fine tune the instruments after their long travel over the sea. First they imported only clarinets. Vito stared in 1946 this shp. When he was young guy he used to work for the Holton company in his summer holidays. The old saxophones have been produced by Beaugenier in France, since LeBlanc only produced clarinets. The saxophones have been produced by Beaugenier ca. until the mid 60ies. Than LeBlanc took over Holton and they stared producing with them. The Beaugenier horns are awsome horns. Quality like the old Selmer or SML horns. Realy fine horns! You can see, if it was made by Beaugernier. They say Made in France on the horn.

Reply To Post

2. by greyfell
          (3 posts)

18 years ago

Would one of these Beaaugernier Vito's be what Johnny Hodges played late in his career? Like during the Duke Ellington concerts at Tivoli Gardens in the late 60's? The concerts are available on DVD now, and I saw Hodges playing a Vito. That was a surprise to me because I was only aware Vito's later lackluster reputation. Would anybody have a clue to what happened to Johnny Hodges's horns when he died? How about Paul Desmond's horns?

Reply To Post

3. by Skylark
          (27 posts)

19 years ago

thx ill have to look to see if it does.

Reply To Post

4. by knighttrain
          (31 posts)

19 years ago

The Beaunier-made Vitos are indeed nice horns (I have an alto and a tenor), but even a mint one wouldn't bring $5K. Depending on condition, they normally bring between $135 to $500 on ebay.

Reply To Post

5. by knighttrain
          (31 posts)

19 years ago

The Beaunier-made Vitos are indeed nice horns (I have an alto and a tenor), but even a mint one wouldn't bring $5K. Depending on condition, they normally bring between $135 to $500 on ebay.

Reply To Post

6. by knighttrain
          (31 posts)

19 years ago

Reply To Post

7. by knighttrain
          (31 posts)

19 years ago

Reply To Post

8. by knighttrain
          (31 posts)

19 years ago

Reply To Post

9. by knighttrain
          (31 posts)

19 years ago

Reply To Post

10. by knighttrain
          (31 posts)

19 years ago

Reply To Post

11. by knighttrain
          (31 posts)

19 years ago

Reply To Post

12. by knighttrain
          (31 posts)

19 years ago

Reply To Post

13. by knighttrain
          (31 posts)

19 years ago

Reply To Post

14. by kelsey
          (930 posts)

15 years ago

Yes I agree..........Kelsey
          Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

15. by chalazon
          (547 posts)

15 years ago