Saxophone Forum

by gregoryrh
(21 posts)
18 years ago

Choosing teachers

I have played about two years now, always taking lessons from a qualified teacher. About a month ago, I decided to also take lessons from another teacher, the band director of the community band that I joined. He is also a well qualified teacher (more of a music education background whereas the first teacher has a music performance degree). I thought two experiences would be fine and to some degree it is. But having two teachers also brings in different approaches (aside from the cost factor). So I think I might need to choose between the two. But it is difficult because I like them both...for different reason. Any ideas?? Help!!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by MarkLavelle
    (300 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Choosing teachers

I'd stick with both, if you like them and you can hack it (financially, etc.). You'll get different things from the two of them, and I can assure you that no one teacher has everything you need. One approach might be to see one less often than the other (1/mo. vs. weekly or bi-weekly). In general, if you have to pick one or the other and you've already got a good grasp of music theory, I'd suggest you concentrate on the performance. If not, stick with the music education path for a while...

Reply To Post