Saxophone Forum

by streetSax570
(25 posts)
18 years ago

What sax to buy????

Hey sax brothers, I am trying to buy a tenor sax for before middle school starts. Right now I'm renting a Jupiter 687 model. If I keep renting it till the end of the year(before middleschool) they'll let me keep it. Price is $1700. Please do tell me anything I need to know about buying saxes. THX Best of My Gratitude, Mook

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by rednecksax
    (24 posts)

18 years ago

Re: What sax to buy????

I wish I knew of this site baack in the day. I'm a senior in high school and still play a jupiter. It is not a bad horn, the intonation tends to be a little off in the upper register, but on it I have made all state for all four years in both jazz and concert. Is it worth the price......not really. I bought mine for 1700 and i wish my parents would have sprung for the yamaha 62 for not much more, but the sax can be great if played correctly. I've had it since 7th grade and I have learned how to control it, so its little problems dont seem to bug me. If your parents have already put down a lot of money in financing (say 400 or more), then yes keep the horn, you'll love it for marching, but if they have to make a balloon payment, show them other options.

Reply To Post

2. by Sax Mom
    (964 posts)

18 years ago

Sounds like you're well on your way to having this one paid for. Is it a good saxophone? I've heard many things about Jupiter, some good, some not so good. Is it a new horn or a used horn? Answers to those questions will help those who know more about the Jupiter saxophone to help you.

Reply To Post

1. by Dub-C
      (8 posts)

18 years ago

A good Jupiter should last you all through your middleschool days. When you enter highschool is when you will probably need to upgrade.

Reply To Post

1. by CMelodyMan77
        (26 posts)

18 years ago

If it is already near paid for, then go ahead and buy it, but when/if your kid plays in high school, then you'll definately want to upgrade. David forumofthesaxes.myfreeforum.org

Reply To Post

2. by Radjammin
      (255 posts)

18 years ago

Is it me or does this seem line a high price to play for a used Jupiter? It might be you that used it, but it's still used. For $1700, buy a used Yamaha 62 or similar. I think you can definatly get a better horn then a Jupiter for that kinda money. Note, you will get more bang for your buck if you buy used. Heck, buy the $1500 Cannonball tenor on this site and save yourself 200 bucks. Looks like a pretty horn. Cannonballs are players too. Well especially if made after 2001. Money is allways an issue, I assume you don't have a job. I suggest at least try to buy something with your parents money that will have resale value. If you buy a Keilwerth, Yanigisawa, Selmer, or Yamaha there will be no problem selling it. If you buy a Cannonball or LASax, still shouldn't be a problem. The rest of the lines might be more of a probelm. You could go vintage, but I would say stick with a modern horn, they are easier to learn on.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by Sax Mom
        (964 posts)

18 years ago

I understood the $1700 price to be the total that has already been paid, and what will be paid in the next few months, not what is left to pay.

Reply To Post

3. by Radjammin
      (255 posts)

18 years ago

Quote : "If I keep renting it till the end of the year(before middleschool) they'll let me keep it. Price is $1700. " I think I said if it's $1700 at the end, like a ballon payment, then it's too much by far. If they say that over the time you have rented it you have paid $1700 that's that's not that bad if you assume you pay about 300-450 for financing it. From what He wrote I really can't tell.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by Sax Mom
        (964 posts)

18 years ago

I agree, if it's a balloon payment, it's too much.

Reply To Post

1. by piro
          (7 posts)

18 years ago

I have a jupiter Tenor, and i am now a junior in highschool. I have had it since i was in 7th grade, i have only had it majorly worked on two times. Once because i dropped from the stands on a phenominal play by our football teram, and another wen someone borrwed my nack strap and didnt latch my case and i wnet o get it and u know the rest, out the case it came. Other then that, if its not a ballon payment then buyit out, at least if your kid marches you'll have hima a decent marching horn, but @ the same time a good concert horn is needed which is why i have my Cannonball Tenor, which with the 2 necks can be played concert for regular band class, or for Jazz which is my true passion, and wen im broke thers always the club. Well hope you make a wise decsion, and worse comes to worst buy a horn off of ebay or soemwhere simaler but make sure the horn is legit and all that jazz. Piro

Reply To Post