Saxophone Forum

by [email protected]
(18 posts)
18 years ago

Mk VI, serial numbers, and Ebay

Hello, Is it a good idea to buy a Mk VI on ebay? I'm looking at one with a 5-digit serial no. (one of the better ones I'm told). Is it safe to buy on ebay? I'd count on an overhaul afterwards, anyway. I've heard some of the VI's are inconsistent, but I've also heard those inconsitencies come up in the late '60's and '70's. I assume this horn was made prior to that, so I'm also wondering if there's a big possibility of it being a 'lemon'. What do you think? Thanks!! Reply to post

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by jamterry
    (573 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Mk VI, serial numbers, and Ebay

What type of saxophone is it and what is the price? The serial number thing is a collector freak's tale. I wouldn't buy any horn that I didn't play first. The two MK VI's that I bought new were not the first that I played. I did buy a soprano this year , but I didn't look for it. I told a Selmer trader that if he came across a MK VI soprano, to let me know. I paid $4000 for it and had it overhauled in Chicago. Tell us what it is that you are looking at and what the price is.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by [email protected]
      (18 posts)

18 years ago

jamterry- Thanks for responding. I'm looking to buy an alto right now. I'm actually an extremely serious student looking at buying something qualified in jazz and classical. A woman I know is willing to sell me her mk vi from about 1967 for roughly 3k. it's in nearly perfect lacquer condition, with a small octave mechanism problem. To get an idea of what it is worth, I've been searching ebay, saxquest, etc. I'm very interested in ebay no. 7367178585. Looks pretty nice to me. If you've got any other suggestions as to horns, prices, places to buy please please please let me know. Thank you so much!

Reply To Post

1. by jamterry
        (573 posts)

18 years ago

Thr MK VI is a great horn, and $3000 is a fair price. They have really nice action, intonation, and tone. The engraving is beautiful. I know I'm biased because I have played MK VI's 40 years running. I think you should buy it. You'll never lose money on it. Since my kids don't play, I think I will leave my horns to a school here in LA. Keep me posted on your progress :)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

2. by Sax Mom
      (964 posts)

18 years ago

Sometimes you can do well buying a horn on ebay. The two saxophones I've gotten have been acceptable, and wonderful for the price (and neither needed an overhaul). The Selmer brand is trustworthy, and being a Mk VI, might have some trade-in value if it doesn't turn out to be as great as you would hope.

Reply To Post