Saxophone Forum

by MarkLavelle
(300 posts)
18 years ago

Yamaha YAS-01Q, anyone?

Anyone have any experience with one of these? WWBW is selling them for just under $700 on eBay, and it's as low a price as I've seen for a new, reputable-brand student alto. The background: My daughter (7th grade) is concentrating on oboe, but she's really a natural musician, and her band teacher has gotten her a little bit interested in taking up a jazz instrument, too. $700 would be a stretch, but I figure the alternative is to look for an exceptional deal on a lightly used YSA-23 ($300? $400?). Any thoughts?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by EL Seano
    (255 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Yamaha YAS-01Q, anyone?

I tried one of these horns out, the Yamaha Q-class are fantastic student models, better than the YAS-23 (I think). Very nice sound, good intonation, comfortable keywork, its the ideal student horn. Also the matte finish looks cool :-) If your budget is a little tight, the YAS-23 would be a good choice for a beginning sax player. Best of Luck Sean

Reply To Post

1. by MarkLavelle
      (300 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Yamaha YAS-01Q, anyone?

Thanks! Are there specific aspects you think are better on the Q (compared to the 23), or is it just a warm fuzzy feeling? ;-)

Reply To Post