Saxophone Forum

by YanagisawA-901
(312 posts)
18 years ago

Somthing Interesting

You know how they say music is the universal language? i beg to differ lol.. i reallllllyyyy have been thinking.. of how, different countries with different languages.. play and decifer music.. take counting out rythems for example.. we count 1..2..3..4.. 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 1 e + Ta 2 e +Ta and so forth.. how would that translate to spanish?? do they use forte, forte piano, mezzo forte the same way? is a G still a G? or is it in their alphabet? hmm

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by definition
    (963 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Somthing Interesting

If you think music is a universal language - a beg of you to tell the eskimo next door his pants are on fire using a kazoo!!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by Sax Mom
      (964 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Somthing Interesting

Music is the universal language (except for those who are deaf...), because it is in the ear. Trascription may not be as universal, because some peoples don't write down the music, it is passed on by ear. However, for those of us who do use written music, forte, mezzoforte, etc., is not English. All of us learn what they mean when we learn music, whether your language is English, Italian, Spanish, French, or otherwise, when you learn music, you learn these foreign words. Notes are tied to sounds (multiple fingerings), so it doesn't matter what you call that dot on the second line, whether it's jee, gay, gamma, or epsilon.

Reply To Post

2. by JZ
    (83 posts)

18 years ago

Something about foreign cultures (and this one)

I remember seeing a French piece titled “yada-yada for Mi-‘flat sign’ saxofone”, mean-ing E-b alto. Many years ago, in Berkeley, neighbors returned from PhD Sociology research in India. The husband showed me these SriLankan “saxophones” they played. Long, wooden, double reed things similar to large simple oboes. The double reeds were made out of popsicle sticks, it seemed. Very hard to blow. Point is: you know how actual Sanskrit writing looks? Their music is written similarly. No lines, no spaces, no notes. Written as Sanskrit-looking text, viz., rows written left to right. For example, a particular word-looking design might be a dotted-quarter F-sharp. Perhaps these links – not related to Sanskrit music! – might help answer your question re Do-Re-Mi and flats/sharps in Western-oriented cultures. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solfege en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentatonic en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatonic_scale en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Note Re SaxMom’s lead: Wasn’t there something in the film “Amadeus” where they argued whether German or Italian should be the accepted language of music (Western). So yea, “pianissimo” and everything is, by accepted convention, Italian.

Reply To Post