Saxophone Forum

by saxitup
(49 posts)
18 years ago

PROPER SOUND BOARD SETTINGS

I was soloing in my church yesterday. The volume on the sound board was cranked up so high that I could here every breath, key tapping, and spit clearing through the speakers/monitors. Any advice on proper settings on the sound board to maintain a natural sound and not hear all of the noises? I'll pass this advice to the sound techs. Thanks! BTW, I'm using a clip-on mic.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by jamterry
    (573 posts)

18 years ago

Re: PROPER SOUND BOARD SETTINGS

test

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

2. by jamterry
    (573 posts)

18 years ago

Re: PROPER SOUND BOARD SETTINGS

The main objective is to get the sound right at the source. Right off the bat we are restricted by the clip-on mic. Either your horn is too close to it, or the gain (volume) on your soundboard channel is too high. How many sources are they running through the soundboard. This can create a problem with the masters. (main volume). Now we come to EQ (equalization). Any EQ range that is boosted too high will create distortion and damage sound quality. Set all EQ ranges at 0 which is at top dead center. That is the neutral setting. When you go counter-clockwise, you cut the range. When you go right, you boost the range. Now you mess with the ranges until you get the sound you want. You blow, and the soundman EQ's you. You have to solve the mic distance problem also. I recommend a better mic on a stand. Let me know your progress. Tear it up :) Terry

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by saxitup
      (49 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Thanks Terry

Great info. I'll work with our sound techs on this. I think the clip-on is capturing too many stray sounds from the horn. Meanwhile I'll adjust the neck on the mic. Our entire sound system needs work. We have a state of the art sound board, with untrained techs. The choir and sax play through the PA system. Keyboards and Guitars have separate amps. Monitors are attached to the ceiling rendering them useless to the musians and singers below. The sound quality overall seems unbalanced to the trained ear.

Reply To Post

1. by saxophonik
        (73 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Thanks Terry

I, too play in a church group, and at one point had the same problems you sound like you're facing. I really didn't know anything about live sound when I started there. We had no sound tech to run the board. And, we had a hodge-podge of low-quality equipment. Luckily, some of our prayers were answered and we were blessed with an experienced sound engineer. I took it upon myself to sit right next to him every chance I could. I asked questions, even if they seemed dumb. Over a couple years time the equipment was gradually upgraded to top-notch gear, and we learned how to properly use each component. Because I sat down and learned from him, I'm able to run the system if he needs a weekend off (i.e. I'm the back-up engineer). Don't be afraid to have a pro come in during your rehearsals and teach your techs how to properly use the gear you have. Talk to your worship director about it. He/she will probably not hesitate. There's a MAJOR difference between playing a gig in a club and playing with a praise band on Sunday service: the Sunday service should NOT be about the people playing on stage. If your equipment is distracting the congregation, than you should do whatever you can to fix the problem(s) so you can "hide". BTW: A pro sound tech will also give you advice about your mic usage / placements, speaker / monitor placements, and other good advice. One more thing... even if the guitars and keys are using amps onstage, they should STILL be mic'd or have a separate signal running from the amp to the board. The amps should only be at a volume loud enough for stage monitoring, not full sanctuary projection. If you want to chat a little more about this stuff in detail, drop me an e-mail. Good Luck.

Reply To Post