Saxophone Forum

by johnny101
(1 post)
18 years ago

Buying An Alto Sax

Hi I was wondering if someone could give me some advice I am wanting to learn how to play the alto sax. The main problem I have is funding it, I am already studying the piano privately and sound engineering at college so money is really tight. I am looking for a good quality sax at a cheap price. I got myself an alto sax by a company called Stagg which I had to take back to the shop as the thing was poorly made and badly out of tune so before buying another one I want to do a bit more research and get as many different reviews & opinions as I can on some of the saxes I can get within my budget. I have between £200 or £300 at a push to spend on one, I don't really want to buy second hand as I might just be inheriting someone else's problems and buying an instrument that has been in someones mouth is a bit off putting. The cheapest saxes I've found so far are Prelude (by Selmer USA) and Evette (by Julius Keilwerth) both at just under £300, would anyone recommend either of these saxes or does anyone know of any other makes and models that I should be looking at within my budget.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Radjammin
    (255 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Buying An Alto Sax

Well lets not forget that the only part that is put into your mouth is the Mouthpiece. So if your really budget concious and want a good horn I would go used. If you buy something really cheap (under $800 US) your just asking for a piece of junk. As far as inheriting someons else's problems you also have the chance of getting a great player that someone else has moved on to something better or has stopped playing. I defintaly vote used for the under $1000 US. As far as your name droping for good saxes your covering the bigges. Selmer, Keilwerth, Yamaha, and Yani are the big 4. Most people perfer Yamaha's lower end horns. The 23 tends to get name droped alot as a good beginner horn. So are you still stuck at not buying used?

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by Sax Mom
      (964 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Buying An Alto Sax

I echo the advice to go with a used horn. All my horns are used, and none had significant problems. Sometimes, the used ones were merely traded in on a more professional model. Shop for the good brands, and you should do alright. Somewhere on this site is a list of good saxophone brands compiled by connsaxmanjim. That may be helpful.

Reply To Post