Saxophone Forum

by karebear1012
(395 posts)
18 years ago

Braces and audition

I have a bari sax All State band audition on Jan. 28, and i'm supposed to get my braces off on Jan. 17. I have the option of getting the braces off after the audition, or on that date, but I wanted to know how long it takes a saxophone player to transition from having braces to not having braces. Could I do this in about a week and a half and still be ready for the audition?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxjunkie89
    (393 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Best thing for braced musicians

oh yeah, you'd be able to. Over the summer, I got my braces off, and then went to band camp, I ADJUSTED IMMEDIATELY! The wierdest thing about getting my braces off, was the sentimental value they had. About 6 months after I started playing the sax, I got them on, and in the four years of having them on, I got really good. Pretty much, you'll be better off w/o braces

Reply To Post

1. by definition
      (963 posts)

18 years ago

yeah once you get the braces off, you'll just feel funny, and play sloppily for a few hours. put a few solid hours of just playing and practicing your articulation and scales, and you';; be just fine, and right as rain in a day or so

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by Sax Mom
        (964 posts)

18 years ago

My daughter, who plays alto, says it's no problem, so go ahead. My experience with bari is it should be even easier to adjust with the bari since the embouchure is larger. Just take out your retainer to play, and put it back on afterwards!!!

Reply To Post

2. by llehctiMnairB
      (18 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Braces and audition

yea..for sure. Itis much harder from going from off to on, then on to off. You should adjust in abotu a few days.

Reply To Post AIM