Saxophone Forum

by Gumptious
(40 posts)
18 years ago

Question on standing to play

HOW do I play the saxophone standing up? I can play standing, but not hard music. I am auditioning to play the Ibert in a young artists performance with a symphony, and it seems impossible to stand and play it accurately. I have to stand to audition... I can't play standing. My fingers stumble. My saxophone feels lopsided. I dont know how to adjust my neck/mouth piece...even the breathing is different. Are there any tips you can give me? How can I get past this? Thanks for any help. Its GREATLY appreciated. Gumptious

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by JimVitoTenor
    (1 post)

18 years ago

Re: Question on standing to play

Two questions: Gumptious, are you sure you have to stand? What if you asked for a chair? I would think they'd want to hear your best playing. I mostly played standing up but then my neck started bothering me. I switched to a harness and that fixed it. Then for some reason, which I forget, I switched to practicing sitting down. Be prepared to play in any position. Which brings me to the second question. In a big band setting you may be called upon to play in both positions, sitting mostly but standing to solo. I find I have to alter both the position of the neck in relation to the body and the position of the mouthpiece in relation to the neck. What do people do here, change the setup mid tune, or go with an average setup that works for both sitting and standing?

Reply To Post

2. by elly75
    (3 posts)

18 years ago

Hi, I find this comment a little strange(sorry!)..if you're a competent player then it really should make no difference whether you're standing or sitting! I've never come across any professional jazz or classical sax/clarinet player who says they have trouble playing in one position(unless you play bass sax or something like that!)..granted they may feel more comfortable one way or the other but it shouldn't affect the playing. To take part in different gigs, bands, orchestras etc then, as a musician, you may be required to play either standing or sitting. I'd suggest finding a comfortable standing posture and practice that way, if you find it uncomfortable. The more you practice something, the better you get, as we all know!

Reply To Post

3. by definition
    (963 posts)

18 years ago

let the horn rest on your neckstrap, it sounds like you need to cinch it up more!! Once you've done that, practice standing and you'll get it

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

4. by MarkLavelle
    (300 posts)

18 years ago

Weird, *I* can't play sitting (at least not comfortably)...

Reply To Post

1. by tsax_player
      (76 posts)

18 years ago

I think Definition is right on with the neck strap being to low. Bring it up, keep your shoulders back (you will begin to get the hunch back thing going), last thing center the horn directly in front of you. For your stance, plant your feet shoulder width apart with one slightly in front of the other, your elbows will feel the need to rise (classical wings) try to hold them at a comfortable position. Practice standing up as much as possible. It will feel natural to you soon enough. There are many advantages to playing standing up; breath support, posture, and everyone can see and hear you play easier. Which Ibert piece are you playing? you said w/ orchestra so I am assuming you mean the concerto " Concertino Da Camera", it is a great piece! Good Luck, Tracy

Reply To Post

1. by saxophonik
        (73 posts)

18 years ago

Also, in a sitting position, one tends to adjust the neck and mpc at an angle to compensate for the legs (most common with tenor, and most young altoists.) When one stands with the horn while it's set up for this angle, it will be quite uncomfortable to play. Try bringing your neck back to the left a little so that it's more in line with the body/bell position. Then, readjust your mpc so that it's more parallel to the floor. When you find the ballance you should be able to stand (with just the neck strap on and mpc in your mouth) and not need to hold on to it. Sounds wierd, but, ballanced like this, you will use the least amount of muscle energy to hold the horn in position... JUST MAKE SURE THE NECK STRAP IS SECURE!!! Tsax_player is correct about the advantages of standing, with the addition of one thing; standing also allows one to expressively move with the music, but just don't get carried away :) Tsax_player and definition are also right about the strap... it should be adjusted so that when you're standing upright (and not slouched) you just need to bring the horn back to you. If you find that you're reaching forward to reach the horn, the strap is too low (this applies to a sitting position as well). Good luck, and don't worry. As tsax_player mentioned, the more you practice while standing, the more natural it will feel for you.

Reply To Post

1. by The_§ax
          (147 posts)

18 years ago

I know exactly how you feel. Let me guess, you started playing sitting down all the time and never stood up, because thats how i started. It will probably only take you a day or two to get used to standing while playing, and having a good teacher will always help with most things. I still find it more comfortable sitting while playing, and for alto, you can still easily move to the music, in a big band situation its what most people wind up doing. But when you get to a solo or something, yeah, standing is obviously awkward if you havent done much of it, so just keep up the practice! Cheers, The_§ax.

Reply To Post

2. by Gumptious
          (40 posts)

18 years ago

thanks for the help. I am playing the Concertino. I can solo in jazz ensembles standing, but i can't seem to play a piece like the concertino standing. The fast fingers and HARD fingerings make it difficult. Thanks for the help though, I'll definantly be practicing that way now.

Reply To Post

3. by Bollen
          (39 posts)

18 years ago

You may also want to try leaning the bow section of the horn against your leg, or your hip ( depending on how tall you are), you should get the same feeling as sitting down since the weight will be balanced between your strap and your hip! Good luck! PS: Here's a picture of a good alto posture pic1 www.cannonball-adderley.com/gallery2.htm

Reply To Post

4. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

18 years ago

"HARD fingerings" there are no such thing, it may be awakward, but nothing is hard! =)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by YUIBOB2
        (2 posts)

18 years ago

To make standing and playing easier in the short term try a harness support system instead of a neck strap. using the harness for my new selmer baritone sax has added the necessary control that my fingers dont need to worry about. Yuibob 2 - Washington, DC

Reply To Post

3. by llehctiMnairB
        (18 posts)

18 years ago

I used to have trouble with this too. Your not the only one out there. Anyway, i would just make sure you raise the strap more than if you were sitting. I would also say to put more weight on the strap, and practice standing up.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by Tsaxkid
          (29 posts)

18 years ago

I also used to not be able to play well standing. But once I got the posture, and neck + mpc position right, and the practice, I found it easier to play standing. I found it easier to breath with my diaphram and have a more solid tone. You just need to adapt.

Reply To Post