Saxophone Forum

by saxs_make_it_happen
(42 posts)
18 years ago

Opinions on the best soprano out there

Hi I'm a senior in high school and have been playing my alto for 6 years now and want to try out the soprano sax. Any suggestions on what to look into? I really want a good one for mostly light, classical, jus heart melting music. any suggestions greatly appreciated. thanx

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Opinions on the best soprano out there

I would highly recommend the Keilwerth SX-90 soprano. I have owned one for almost a year, and it's fantastic! I had a Selmer Series III, and the Keilwerth just blows it away. The Keilwerth is easier to play, has a better tone, and the quality is much better. I haven't tried many Yanagisawa sopranos, but they are very highly rated also. I would definately give them a try.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by Sax Mom
      (964 posts)

18 years ago

I am very happy with my E.M. Winston. The brand is beginning to gain some reputation.

Reply To Post

1. by definition
        (963 posts)

18 years ago

I highly recomend Antigua winds as a low cost modern soprano. For Modern horns I also like the keilwerths and the Yanagisawas, all very nice. If you want to try a vintage soprano, try a Buescher True Tone!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by snowcat
      (2 posts)

18 years ago

In my opinion the keilwerth sx-90 is a great horn. It is very responsive and has great key work. However, if you want to play classical, the sx-90 is not the best choice. The tone is great, but it is bright and edgy. It would be great for jazz. Try yamaha, yanigasawa, and selmer.

Reply To Post

2. by kneejerk52
    (397 posts)

18 years ago

if money is an issue i also have a 350GL winston, it's not bad. i have olny a problem with the high F# but i think it's me not the horn. all other notes and i have no problem up and down the horn and it souns fine. if you have money to spend i hear the yamaha horns are great, pro and intermediates.

Reply To Post

3. by WMcLean
    (12 posts)

18 years ago

After reading every soprano post that I could get my hands on I picked up an Antigua Winds Soprano 586LQ from Kessler Music ... and I am delighted with the quality, the tone and the price.

Reply To Post

1. by sax_maniac
      (984 posts)

18 years ago

While I'm a HUGE fan of Keilwerth SX horns on alto and tenor, I don't really like their soprano. Tried several them against my 1977 Yani at WWBW several months ago and liked my Yani better - much darker than the SX which surprised me as the alto and tenor SX horns are, to me, the ultimate as far as dark classical tone is concerned. In fact, my old Yani was darker than a brand new bronze Yani. So if you are looking for dark and sultry, save yourself a bunch of money and find yourself an old Yani - like an S6 or Elimona with the Mark VI style key arrangement. No front F, but everything else regarding the sound and intonation is totally worth that very small sacrifice.

Reply To Post