Saxophone Forum

by Sax_Shark
(134 posts)
18 years ago

Trouble

Ok, I need some guidance. I have this Conn soprano saxophone that was made in 1919. Its in bad repair (won't play in tune). Its main problem would be that it has the original pads and every other "original" one could think of. I bought it on eBay for $700 (yes, I know, way too much) under the impression that it worked and now I need to get rid of it so I can get a newer one...probably an Antigua. What should I do? Should I put another $250 into it in hopes I can get $950 for it or should I sell it in its condition at $700? I really need help here. Any and all advice welcome. Thanks

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by The_§ax
    (147 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Trouble

Why don't you get it repaired and then keep it.

Reply To Post

2. by wvujazzman
    (48 posts)

18 years ago

The other thing you might want to consider is that once you overhaul it, you won't WANT to sell it. Don't laugh - it happened to me. I traded a Buffet tenor for a 40's vintage Conn 6M, and it turned out to be in worse shape than I had originally thought. For 2 years I grumped about it being a waste of a horn. Then I had it overhauled... WOW! Completely different instrument - it has a wonderful tone, and loads of power if I need it. I wouldn't trade it for the world. But if someone had offered me $4-500 before the overhaul, I'd have jumped at it. Just a different point of view... Eric

Reply To Post

1. by Sax_Shark
      (134 posts)

18 years ago

That's a good point. I've even thought of that but I talked to the repair dude and he said that it may not be worth it. But, now that I've heard this from another source (you), I feel more like doing it. Thanks!

Reply To Post

1. by Radjammin
        (255 posts)

18 years ago

Ya your in a sticky situation. I would say if the repair work will be less then what you think your loss is going to be. Really dude $700 for a Conn Soprano in need of repair???? The body better be in good condition!!! But as people have already suggested, repair if it's less money then what you would loose when you sell it. Think of it as your loss, and the sax gets a second chance on life. Ya Conn Sax!! But if your still loosing money just cut and run. I think your only gonna get $300 for the Broken Soprano. Unless someone else "messes up" Or you could just lie!! LOL

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by mattMrozinski
          (35 posts)

18 years ago

oh man my sax teachers EX wife threw his Mk VI down a flight of stairs, but the guy he took it to is an *amazing* repairman. he got the whole thing back together and straightend out the dents and stuff, and you would think nothing happened to it i mean, there is barely any lacquer from his acid hands but the thing IS a mark vi, and i think it sounds as good or even better than any other mark vi. so what im gettin to is that if you have a great horn like that go a little over the top and find a good repairman and keep it and all should be well.

Reply To Post

2. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

18 years ago

That's an oldie Shark! I looked at the pictures that you emailed me. The serial number dates this one to 1919, making it an early New Wonder Series I. These are neat old horns, but they're not for everyone. It's over 86 years old, and like old people, old horns can also be tempermental. The keywork and intonation are good for a horn of that vintage. I think that if you overhauled the horn, you would find it a lot of fun to play. You paid a couple hundred dollars too much for it, but rather than take a loss, I would have it restored to playing condition and enjoy it.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

3. by Sax_Shark
          (134 posts)

18 years ago

Once I have it restored, do you think it will be pretty good? I e-mailed the guy at vintagesax.com and he said that it was a "C". Is that true? I've read some things and his info is conflicting. If its a Bb I'll probably get it repaired but eveer since the guy told me that I've been wondering. Thanks

Reply To Post

4. by Dave Dix
          (421 posts)

18 years ago

Just look above the serial number and below the patent number . If it has the letter S its a Bb soprano. If it has C then its a C sop Dave

Reply To Post

5. by Sax_Shark
          (134 posts)

18 years ago

Ok, there is no S or C....

Reply To Post

6. by Sax Mom
          (964 posts)

18 years ago

Play a "C" on the saxophone, and see if it is close to the same "C" on the piano. If so, it's a "C". If it sounds more like a "Bb" on the piano, it's a "Bb". "C"'s would be easier to use when jamming, because you wouldn't have to transpose. Also easier to play with piano or organ.

Reply To Post

7. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

18 years ago

You can usually tell by the overall length. The C soprano is a little shorter. I think they're about 20 inches long. I was wondering about that Shark, because most of the New Wonder Series I Bb sopranos were curved. The C sopranos were straight. Conn sopranos are confusing! The first sopranos were curved (Wonder series). The New Invention sopranos (1912-1916) were straight. The earlier New Wonder saxophones (1917-1920?) most of them were straight. New Wonders from about 1920-1925 were curved. The New Wonder Series II and transitional sopranos were straight. Then, Conn made a few M series horns that were both straight and curved. The 2M soprano was straight, the 4M was curved. Both were only made for a few years. They were discontinued about the same time as the 14M bass, which would have been around 1940. I would definately measure that sax and compare it with another Bb soprano. If it is in fact a C soprano, I would caution you not to spend a lot of money on repairs. I have a C soprano in about the same shape as yours, only a couple years newer. I don't know how in tune it would play with my Bb soprano mouthpiece. I may get around to repadding it eventually. I have a couple others that are of more interest. Right now, I am replacing the pads on my Selmer Mark VI. Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

8. by Sax_Shark
          (134 posts)

18 years ago

The measurement of the sax is 22''. Does that make it a C? If so, I definately need to sell it so I can get a new Bb.

Reply To Post