Saxophone Forum

by Geronimo
(12 posts)
18 years ago

Cracking

hi, ive been playin jazz sax for a few years, and one technique i wish to be able to achieve is the cracking of high notes. the great cannonball adderley uses this technique as does many other players. how is this effect achieved? any suggestions?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by kneejerk52
    (397 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Cracking

i don't know what craking means???

Reply To Post

1. by EL Seano
      (255 posts)

18 years ago

Do you mean like the screaming effect in the altissimo register? i have been trying to discover the secret too. Kneejerk, listen to how Michael Brecker plays altissimo, you'll notice there is a distortion in them. I think this is what Geronimo means. Sean

Reply To Post

2. by Geronimo
    (12 posts)

18 years ago

yeh thats it. have a listen to 'waltz for debby' by cannonball. he uses the effect on the high f#'s. Ive always been keen to master that effect, and on the transcript is says "Crack all F#'s''

Reply To Post

1. by kneejerk52
      (397 posts)

18 years ago

thanks ill get it and listen.

Reply To Post

1. by tsax_player
        (76 posts)

18 years ago

There are few different ways to approach this sound. The first is the growl in the back of the throat. You can do this in any register of the horn. The second (and most common for altissimo) is a breaking of two notes. Play the fingering of the note you wish to be heard, add the growl in the back of the throat, and then alter your air speed (I feel you should slow the air down but there is no perfect way to do this). Essentially you are giving the perception of two notes being played but are allowing the one being fingered to be dominant. It sounds more complicated than it acually is. Listen to guys doing this on recordings and imitate thier sound. Hope this helps Tracy

Reply To Post

1. by EL Seano
          (255 posts)

18 years ago

Hey Tracy, thanks for the advice. On the tenor, I found the growling technique works very well on high F and F#, and the breaking works well on A and C, I'm having a bit of difficulty on the other notes but I'm sure that will come with practise. Thanks, Sean

Reply To Post