Saxophone Forum

by MarkLavelle
(300 posts)
18 years ago

Opinions on books?

I've think I've got a good teacher (a H.S. Instrumental Music teacher who loves jazz and who's main instrument is sax), but I like to explore on my own, too. So far I've picked up any books recommended by my teach or that just look interesting, but I figure I should get a little more selective on the independent selections. So I figured this was a good place to ask for advice... I should probably mention that I've been playing tenor just over a year (guitar for almost 40) and I'm interested in almost any kind of music where you'd reasonably expect to hear a sax. So I'm looking at getting better at both reading and improvising. Here's a sampling of what I already have: Several scale/exercise books A few jazz and/or rock-oriented 'riff' books 'The Art of Saxophone Playing' by Larry Teal A couple of Joseph Viola's Berklee Press books(Chord Studies and Creative Reading) 'Top-Tones for the Saxophone' by Sigurd M. Rascher (which I've hardly cracked!) My teacher likes the Jamey Aebersold series, so I expect to pick up a few of them along the way, too.... These are a couple that I'm thinking about: 'Building a Jazz Vocabulary' by Mike Steinel 'Universal Method for Saxophone' by Paul Deville Any thoughts on these two? How about recommendations for others?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Bollen
    (39 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Opinions on books?

I think the absolute bible is The Jazz theory book by Mark Levine. If you are interested in jazz improvisation that is. Also the Bregonzi methods are outstanding. there are 4 books and there's enough material for a lifetime of practice. Good luck!

Reply To Post

1. by Geronimo
      (12 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Opinions on books?

go for the Jazz Theory book by Mark Levine.....GOLD! also the aebersold books are great!

Reply To Post