Saxophone Forum

by Tsaxkid
(29 posts)
18 years ago

Looking for a new(possibly old) horn

I'm currently using a yts-62II, and I'm looking for an alto with a different sound. I was looking at Buescher True Tones, Keilwerth SX90R, Yanagisawa 992, Rampone and Cazzani R1 Jazz, and a few other vintage saxes. I know that's a rather big assortment but I'm really not so sure on what to buy. I'd like a sax that would last and have an individual sound. Which do people recommend and do you have any others you would suggest?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by blackfrancis
    (396 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Looking for a new(possibly old) horn

In the older horns, try King, Conn 6M and Martin. Only you will know when you find that different sound that you're looking for. Just remember, that sound will be coming from YOU more than your horn.

Reply To Post

1. by Dave Dix
      (421 posts)

18 years ago

Try the pre 1963 buescher aristocrat line , especially the series 1 aristocrats then you will look no further Dave

Reply To Post

1. by Tsaxkid
        (29 posts)

18 years ago

Thanks for your advice, but I like to try before I buy, especially with a vintage instrument. Does anyone know of a place to try a Conn, Buescher, Martin, or King in southern California? It would be helpful, since I hesitate to just order off ebay or this website and hope it's good.

Reply To Post