Saxophone Forum

by muzikman_wky
(17 posts)
18 years ago

Tips please :)

Hi. I have been playing the saxophone for almost two years now... I wanna know what practice routines to do besides the basics.. thanks much... Im also looking for a new old tenor saxophone..

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Tips please :)

Work on scales and fingers. There are a lot of really nice vintage horns. Conn, King, Buescher, Selmer and Martin all made some great horns. My favorite is the Conn 10M.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by chiamac
      (586 posts)

18 years ago

meh, I'm not big on saying people should work on fingers or breathing... these will come with time - once you start seeing how much faster/better/good you play. Scales are a must though, since it will make runs and things A LOT easier to do later when you can play any given scale back/front/sideways. As for vintage horns... my vote goes to a '40s 10M, great horn!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by markseez
    (17 posts)

18 years ago

a good routine (not technical) to do to improve breath control is to swim (lake sea pool whatever), do distance regurlarly for at least 20 minutes without touching the bottom of the pool, sea, lake and check the way you approach your embrochure, you should see a difference. Merry christmas to all of you people on saxquest and saxquest staff, have a great time, peace on earth...

Reply To Post

3. by llehctiMnairB
    (18 posts)

18 years ago

Scales are a must if you want to improve. Long tones are also a great excersize. Another thing i like to do is overtones. For example i will finger a low b flat and play a middle f, d, f, then b flat again. This helps me play in tone. I would also say that sight reading is a must. You will just becaome a better overall player the more you read.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by muzikman_wky
      (17 posts)

18 years ago

thanks for the tip. How do you play the overtones? I find it dificult to find these overtones. Happy Holidays!

Reply To Post

1. by llehctiMnairB
        (18 posts)

18 years ago

Yea. Its really hard at first, but fun once you get the hang of it.

Reply To Post AIM

2. by Bollen
        (39 posts)

18 years ago

Probably the best approach is to play an F2 (octave) and then without changing your embrochure finger a low Bb, then you do the same with Bb3 and D3, always going back to the Bb fingering. You should try it without the help of the octave key. You might find this page useful. www.petethomas.co.uk/saxophone-harmonics.html

Reply To Post

1. by muzikman_wky
          (17 posts)

18 years ago

Thanks for the info. I'll keep you posted if I'll encounter some problems.

Reply To Post

3. by mroland153
        (13 posts)

18 years ago

The practice routing really depends on what you want to do or what you are doing with the saxophone. Are you in a school band program or is it just a hobby? And I feel that what you are practicing is irrelevant if you do not have a set time period each day when you practice. Repetition I feel is the best in the beginning. If you are just practicing once or twice a week then you are really not doing any good b/c you will not improve unless you are comitted to becoming a better player.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by muzikman_wky
          (17 posts)

18 years ago

I am in the school band. And some other bands outside school. How much time a day should be the minimum time of practice? Beacuse I have school to tackle during the day...

Reply To Post

1. by Radjammin
            (255 posts)

18 years ago

I think 4.5 to 6 hours a week in High School is good. That would give you 1.5 to 2 hours 3 times a week. In college you should be doing 12 to 15 hours a week regularly. That's 3 hour pratices 4 or 5 days a week. Exercises? I like the F trick to work on richer sounding notes. You can to this exercise on any note above probaby A above the staff but Front High F is the easist. Play High F using the Front fingering and bend the note down as low as you can without it cracking. Then Bend it back. It not the most plesant sound to listen to, but it is huge in tone development. I think it really help give you tonal ear focus and helps in breathing. It tends to open your throat up and teach your muscles that all the notes should have a nice open throat. Not just the low notes.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by muzikman_wky
              (17 posts)

18 years ago

thanks.. I'll keep that in mind..

Reply To Post

2. by mroland153
            (13 posts)

18 years ago

The min/ max really depends on you. The best idea would be to set goals for yourself. If you are interested in making some of the mid-state or all state bands then you would have to put in more time, or if you just want to be the 1st chair player at your school. If you can't sit down for 1-2 hours a day then at least do a small practice, maybe with some scales just so you are not missing a day of practice.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by muzikman_wky
              (17 posts)

18 years ago

I will. Will anytime of the day do? just as long as its consistent throughout the week? I have been trying the overtones ob Bb.. i can make the high F but not the d.. I think my embochure still needs work.. i can still feel air getting out and i can feel my cheeks harden.

Reply To Post

2. by mroland153
              (13 posts)

18 years ago

Anytime is good, I used to practice at all hours of the day when I was in college. Just whenever I got a chunk of free time. If you feel like you are having embochure trouble a thing I did was mouthpiece buzzing. Take the mouthpiece off of the horn and hold it with your thumb on the bottom of the ligature and you first two fingers on the top of it and blow. I tried to buzz an a440, which is the high F# on the horn but some people disagree on the note to buzz. You should listen to see if the pitch is steady and doesn't waiver too much. This will help build up the embochure.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

3. by Bollen
              (39 posts)

18 years ago

I agree with mroland, this is indeed a great exercise for the lips, but also try to play a major scale on just the mouthpiece. You should be able to play a m13(or b13) interval, that is to say low A to an F an octave higher, this depends on which sax you're playing but you can always play a m13 interval.

Reply To Post

4. by muzikman_wky
              (17 posts)

18 years ago

how can i tell that im doing it correctly? and if i am, should i make it part of my daily routine?

Reply To Post

5. by mroland153
              (13 posts)

18 years ago

The best thing to do is sit at a good piano and try to match pitch with it. This also helps in ear training development. You want to listen and try to keep the buzz on the mouthpiece from waivering, it should be a solid consistent tone.

Reply To Post Yahoo!