Saxophone Forum

by Sax_Shark
(134 posts)
18 years ago

Soprano Mouthpiece

I may soon be getting an Antigua Soprano and I was wondering what type of mouthpiece to buy for it. Is the Morgan that comes with it any good? I am looking for a versitale tone, not bright. I'll be playing the soprano in all types of settings - jazz, legit, etc. I currently have a Rovner Eddie Daniels lig for the sax. Should I get a different lig for the tone I want? Any advice will be greatly appriciated. Thanks

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Tsaxkid
    (29 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Soprano Mouthpiece

I don't know how good Morgan mouthpieces are. I've never tried one out before. With my soprano, I use an Otto Link tone edge (hard rubber) 5*. I don't recommend going to huge tip openings or using a metal mouthpiece. The Rovner Eddie Daniels ligature is the best on the market. Just switch around the plates and flaps to make it play just the way you want it.

Reply To Post

1. by tenor562
      (297 posts)

18 years ago

The Morgan mouthpieces are quite good. The Antigua setup that comes from Dave Kessler includes a Protone mouthpiece, which is Morgan's entry level mouthpiece. However, before buying a new mouthpiece for the horn, I would try the Morgan, as it is thought as possibly the best entry level on the mouthpiece. With the ligature, I'd stick with the Eddie Daniels. It's a top end ligature, and configure it for your sound, it will be fine.

Reply To Post

1. by saxjunkie89
        (393 posts)

18 years ago

but if you do not like the stock, get a Selmer S80 C*...

Reply To Post

1. by Sax_Shark
          (134 posts)

18 years ago

I've been warned not to go down that road. Why would that be?

Reply To Post

2. by tenor562
          (297 posts)

18 years ago

A good majority of band directors, especially the nonwoodwind players reccomend the S80 C* to all of their saxophone players. On a tenor, the C* is thought of to be too closed, and players are reccomended to go to a C**. However, on soprano and alto, the C* is fine, and a good mouthpiece. Another mouthpiece you might want to look into is the Super Session, which I have heard good things about.

Reply To Post

3. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

18 years ago

The S80 C* is the absolute WORST mouthpiece you could possibly buy! The square chamber is TOO SMALL! Not only does the mouthpiece limit projection and volume (which is why many band directors like them), the square chamber design along with it's small size has been attributed to intonation problems with MANY horns! The S80 is especially bad for tenor sax, but they pretty much SUCK on EVERYTHING! Unless you're a beginner who hasn't yet developed your embrochure, DO NOT BUY A C*!!! Buy a mouthpiece with a more open facing, like 5* and try a #2.5 or LaVoz medium reed. You'll get a better tone and the sax will play better from the lowest Bb up through Altissimo A. I play a Keilwerth SX-90 soprano with a Meyer 5M (Medium) Ebonite mouthpiece . I get a nice full tone that's as smooth as silk. Not too shrill or bright, but not too dark or dull. It's a great piece for smooth jazz; Kenny G, Grover Washington Jr., etc. Woodwind/Brasswind sells them for around $85. They're well worth it!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

4. by kneejerk52
          (397 posts)

18 years ago

i test played at least 6 most being the super session selmers. but i put on the s80 c*, it was in a session box, and it played better for me. i have had not problems with it on the 350gl winston i have.

Reply To Post

2. by jamterry
        (573 posts)

18 years ago

The original C* soloists are much better than the new ones. I use a Bob Ackerman also on my soprano, but they are expensive. You don't need to get to haired over ligatures. I think that I will get a Bari Hawk II for rock applications.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

3. by senior
        (23 posts)

18 years ago

I play an Antigua Soprano. I found that the mouthpiece that came with it, to be very unsatisfactory. The Morgan Protone is a good entry level piece, but it also did not work for me. I have tried an Otto Link, a Vandoren V5 S27, they were O.K. but the mouthpiece I found to work best is a Selmer Super Sessions. If you have never played Sop before, the Super Sessions may not be the piece you want to start with.

Reply To Post

1. by Sax_Shark
          (134 posts)

18 years ago

I use an Otto Link for my '37 King Zephyr Special Tenor because I was informed that I needed a larger bore on the mpc for a vintage horn (turned out to be awesomely great). The Antigua is a modern horn so....... What's a good modern mpc? Why is it that the Super Session not the mpc I want to start with?

Reply To Post

1. by senior
            (23 posts)

18 years ago

The Super Session is harder to control than the links or vandoren and morgans. If you are just starting on the Sop, you want to put in a few months on an easier mouthpiece, like a Protone or selmer C*. Then take on a Super Session or a Jody Jazz. Both of which are free blowing, good sounding pieces but need exsperiance to control.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
              (2336 posts)

18 years ago

From what I understand (I haven't tried one yet because I have pretty much swore off all Selmer mouthpieces) the Super Session is much like the vintage Selmer Soloist pieces that were included with the Mark VI horns. I have a couple of them and they're fine for a smooth big band sound or legit. Mine are both D's (more open than a C*) Just don't buy the S80 with the square chamber!!!! VERY BAD MOUTHPIECE! Selmer should pull them off the market!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by saxjunkie89
              (393 posts)

18 years ago

sorry...

Reply To Post

3. by Sax_Shark
              (134 posts)

18 years ago

What about the Vandorens? Do they have any good mpc? I will need a versitile mpc but will be using it mostly for jazz. Yes, I know you don't like the Vans very much.

Reply To Post

4. by connsaxman_jim
              (2336 posts)

18 years ago

I haven't had too much experience with Vandoren mouthpieces. I've heard mostly good things about them, but there are a few others in the same price range as the Vandorens that I like better. Try a Phil Barone, Ponzol or Jody Jazz.

Reply To Post Yahoo!