Saxophone Forum

by ANGELLU
(2 posts)
18 years ago

HELP! beginner with new sax-no mouthpiece.

I have just been given a Prince Special edition?? i need to find a mouthpiece. im a complete begginer and cant wait to get started but why cant i find any info on it on web??? please help!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Sax_Shark
    (134 posts)

18 years ago

Re: HELP! beginner with new sax-no mouthpiece.

Do you know of a brand name of the sax? Most people start out on a Yamaha 4C mouthpiece. How about reeds? Do you have any in mind? I would recommend Vandoren size 2 1/2. Hope this helps!

Reply To Post

1. by ANGELLU
      (2 posts)

18 years ago

Thank you, i'll get one of those then. Im puzzled by the brand, all it says upon it is "Prince Special Edition" and then it has a serial number on the back. it was bought from an antique market for £150 uk pounds. thanks again! ;-)

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

18 years ago

I'm not familiar with Prince. I'm assuming that since you bought it from an antique market that it is an older horn? Is it silver plated? Does it give any indication where it was made? www.wwbw is a good online company to order accessories from. Their prices are very reasonable. The Yamaha 4C is a good suggestion for a beginner mouthpiece, and they're not too expensive. The Rico Royal Graftonite mouthpieces are a good mouthpiece for beginners, and they too are very inexpensive. I would suggest a B3 for a beginner. I'm not a big fan of Vandoren reeds, personally. I would suggest a LaVoz med. soft, which is the equivalent of a #2, or 2.5.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by Sax_Shark
          (134 posts)

18 years ago

Why LaVoz?

I've always been curious. Why don't you like Vandoren, saxmanjim? I can't stand LaVoz because everything that I've bought from that company has broken when I needed it. Your turn... [Friendly Disagreement]

Reply To Post

2. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Why LaVoz?

I've never really purchased anything LaVoz except for their reeds and reed holders. As for the reed holders, the newer plastic holders are not as good as the older aluminum 4X reed holders that I have, but they do the job. I have found LaVoz reeds to be much more consistant that Vandorens. I have tried all of the Vandorens. The Java's are probably the best. I hate the V16's with a passion. They're too thin. I can't get a good tone out of them. After playing one about 45 minutes, they go soft. I have tried just about every kind of reed out there, and the LaVoz are the most consistant of any. The only other reeds that come close are the Alexanders, but they are much harder to find and cost considerably more. Really, the standard Rico reeds are not all that bad. I have found them to be very consistant, even if the cane isn't quite as good as the LaVoz or Vandorens. At least with the Rico reeds, I can file them down if necessary, but the Vandorens are so thin, you can't do much with them! I've seen saxophone players open a box of reeds and throw half of them away! Out of a box of 10 Rico standards, I might have 1 reed that I'll need to file. Out of a box of 10 LaVoz, very seldom do I find a reed that doesn't play well out of the box.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

3. by Sax_Shark
          (134 posts)

18 years ago

This is just something I've never done. File reeds? Why do you need to file them? What do you do to them? See, that's wierd. Very seldom do I find a bad Vandoren. I think the La Voz are just too thin and/or flimsy. Maybe I need to try them again, give them another chance? It might be just that the Vandorens were the reed I've used for years now. I stared on those Ricos you were refering to. Can't stand them anymore. I haven't had the chance to try the Vandoren ZZ's yet. But that's on my to-do list the next time I have a spare $30 laying around. ;) Oh yeah, I have to disagree with you about those Javas too. Grr I hate them > too bright. I once got a box of them b/c the store didn't have anymore traditionals. At the time, I had no idea that it was easy to order online so I had to accept. I found out halfway through the box (within 10 minutes) that they weren't for me. Do you use LaVoz for jazz? What do you use for other styles?

Reply To Post

4. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

18 years ago

LaVoz is my favorite. If you find them thin or flimsy, then you're probably buying reeds that are too soft. Try a LaVoz medium. They're sized different than other reeds. If you're used to a # 3.5, try a LaVoz med. hard. That's the one thing that I do not like about LaVoz. I wish they used numbers like everyone else! I have been able to get more projection and volume out of the Java's than the other Vandoren reeds. Still, my 10M with a med. LaVoz and my Otto Link will raise a roof! I use different mouthpieces for different styles, but no so much different reeds. Different hardnesses, occasionally depending on the tip opening of the mouthpiece. I have one Berg Larson tenor piece that I can't play anything harder than a 2.5 reed with because the tip is very open. It's strictly a jazz set-up. Occasionally I'll use it for some Springsteen stuff, or songs like "On The Darkside". My usual set-up for tenor is a vintage Otto Link Super Tone Master 5. I have a Jody Jazz ESP which I have started using also. It's sounds similar to the Link with a little more snap and power. I use a cheap ole' Rico Royal Graftonite piece for a nice deep, throaty blues/rock sound, or a vintage Brillhart Tonelin for a mellow big band sound. Usually though, if I'm playing something like "String Of Pearls" or "April In Paris", I play my Selmer Mark VI with either the Brillhart or the Selmer Soloist mouthpiece.

Reply To Post Yahoo!