Saxophone Forum

by pstrane
(1 post)
18 years ago

a fatter sound

can anyone suggest me how to achieve a fatter sound without playing too dark and too quiet? thanks :)

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by kneejerk52
    (397 posts)

18 years ago

Re: a fatter sound

talk about you horn and setup, somebody might be able to help from there. other than the gifts from God these things seem to have affects.

Reply To Post

1. by golferguy675
      (600 posts)

18 years ago

Here's a copy and paste from my post in the jazz forum: If you're tone is sounding thin and brassy, it's most likely your airstream. Try playing your tenor, and then take the mouthpiece out and play into your hand. Feel the air as it's coming out onto your hand. Is that air warm or cold? It should be warm, a lot players blow quick small airstreams, resulting in cold air. That makes for a thin sound. You want to think more about exhaling than blowing when you play. And when you are pushing air out, instead of playing out of your lungs, try to think about playing from your stomach. You can practice this stuff just doing long tones, so it's easier to concentrate on the task at hand. Give that a try for a few weeks, your tone should fatten up. And an addition to that, loosen up your throat muscles, let them relax. Also I notice a lot of players play to closed inside their mouth. Open that up too. Depending on whether you're talking about jazz or classical here, for jazz you should be using a jazz eoumbechre, and for me that means letting your lower lip out some. I'm sure I'll get attacked for telling you that by the million other ideas for a jazz eoumbechre, but it has worked well for me.

Reply To Post

2. by EL Seano
      (255 posts)

18 years ago

I'd agree that the mthpiece, reeds and lig play a major part in producing a fatter sound, but I found the horn only makes a small difference. I get more or less the same sound on my Buescher as I do on my Guardala (the Guardala is more bright though).

Reply To Post

1. by EL Seano
        (255 posts)

18 years ago

and heres a copy of my reply to golferguys post in the jazz forum where tone was being discussed: major part in a good tone is expanding your throat, If your throat is wider the air is more likely to be warm. As to making your throat wider... pretend your throwing up :-) (well this works for me). Another major part is breathing. Make sure your shoulders don't rise while inhaling, and make sure you can fill up and expand that diaphragm... The human lungs can fill 6 litres of air, most people only use 2. Use those full six litres! good luck Sean

Reply To Post

1. by selmer 4evr
          (309 posts)

18 years ago

A FATTER SOUND I believe you are probably referring to a fuller more round sound ( sound is so hard to describe ) . There is only one way to accomplish this ,,while some will suggest reeds, ligatures, mouthpiece or express these as ---set-up--- all are band-aid solutions that will give a semblance of a !!!Fat Sound!!! but will have a price attached,,, loss of one thing or another it could be articulation ,,clean attacks ,,harmonic content, etc. the only way to get more voluminous sound is to stop playing the reed and start playing the bore of the instrument. the sax player must understand efficiency and how this works. You need high air speed and very compressed air coupled with a flexible embouchure that feels like it is almost loose-- avoiding any reed pinching . the embouchure supports the reed does not pinch it ,,the note is started because the air is compressed sufficiently to cause a low pressure zone on the horn side of the reed and thus causing the reed to seal onto the moutpiece ( it gets too technical after this ). To shorten a longwinded discussion --increase the air pressure and loosen the embouchure --it feels like you are trying to play deliberately flat with a lowered jaw-- . One more thing the soft palate must be sealed shut . To avoid air entering from the nose while breathing out. health.allrefer.com/health/cleft-lip-and-palate-throat-anatomy.html

Reply To Post

2. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

18 years ago

A fatter sound? Ok, this is what you do. First thing in the morning. Eat a 1/2 dozen donuts. Wash them down with a 2 liter of Mountain Dew. For lunch, a king size double whopper meal....with cheese! And don't forget a Hershey pie for dessert! A few Ritz Bitz or potato chips between lunch and dinner. FORGET EXERCIZING!!! STAY INSIDE!!! WATCH TV AND PRACTICE!!! For dinner, a pound of speghetti and 1/2 a loaf of garlic bread. Forget salad.....EAT MORE PASTA!!! 1/2 gallon of chocolate ice cream for dessert More Mountain Dew and Oreo Cookies After a week you'll need to buy bigger pants! After a couple months, you'll have a FATTER SOUND!!! That is, IF you can play without losing your breath! --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Please don't take any of that seriously! All in fun people, all in fun!!! Seriously, there are many factors which influence your sound, and really in order to give advice, I would need to know more about the equipment and set up you're using. Write back and let us know a little about your set-up and I'm sure we can give you a few pointers. Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!