Saxophone Forum

by Tsaxkid
(29 posts)
18 years ago

saxophone.com

I discovered a website called saxophone.com. They have saxophones for very low prices and I was wondering if anyone has ever tried one of these saxophones and if they are cheap chinese instruments or high quality.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by jamterry
    (573 posts)

18 years ago

Re: saxophone.com

You're doing great for only one year. You're already at the intermediate level. That Coltrane stuff you should learn by ear, so you lock in those riffs. You can't get the articulation from a sheet of music. If you play piano you can learn McCoy Tyner's piano parts. That will help your sax playing. Good luck to you :)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

2. by streetSax570
    (25 posts)

18 years ago

Should we encourage this website to other people? I've been told that www.saxophone.com and www.saxquest.com are rivals. We should not reccomend this crappy website to fellow saxquest lovers because the publicty will then slowly decline and the whole website will be a not from the hot.

Reply To Post AIM

3. by jamterry
    (573 posts)

18 years ago

Some of you people are Chinophobic. China is putting out unbelievable violins and guitars for the price. Soon they will put Japanese horns out of business. The Chinese craftsmanship has always been excellent, but band instruments are still a work in progress. If the price suits your budget, I say go for it. I'm assuming that you are at the beginner level.

1. by EL Seano
      (255 posts)

18 years ago

Yes Terry, the Chinese can make violins pretty well. But saxes... I don't mean to have racial prejudice, but the only Asian saxes that I find are acceptable are, you guessed it, Yamaha and Yani. Fontaine, Xinghai, Selman etc... pure crap. You'd get a better sound farting. I know its harsh but these poor quality saxes kind of get to me. Also Terry, you say that the Chinese will put Jap horns out of business... which brands do you refer to? Thanks, Sean

Reply To Post

4. by Sax_Shark
    (134 posts)

18 years ago

Well, I have not tried one of the saxes out but the site says that the saxophone.com brand saxophones are made in Taiwan. I have discovered, in exploration of better deals, that if the deal seems too good to be true then it probably is. Look at their return policies. They seem really uptight and very conditional. It looks as though if you don't like the sax then you can return it but everything has to be the same as when you got it. I don't know if I would trust them. I think that connsaxmanjim would know more. E-mail him and ask or wait for him to post something.

Reply To Post

5. by jamterry
    (573 posts)

18 years ago

I think somebody like Selmer will go into China and produce most of their horns there. I remember when I was a little boy and we had a made in Japan phobia here. When I was a kid, a Yamaha was a motorcycle. I think China will eventually produce good horns. It sure does make the value of my horns go up. For a beginner, I think saxophone.com might be an option.

1. by Sax_Shark
      (134 posts)

18 years ago

Is Tsaxkid a beginner? (i know the name says kid but he could be really good)

Reply To Post

6. by jamterry
    (573 posts)

18 years ago

If someone is a serious player, i wouldn't mess around with saxophone.com. Las Vegas scares me. They are taking California jobs away. I do think that China will eventually manufacture good saxophones. Go to a real music store and play the horns. Tsaxkid what is your playing level? It seems like everyone in here is the lead alto or all state jazz band, whatever that is. If you got it goin' on finance a REF 54. The 54 plays nice. Most of these kids here have parental backup, but financing is an alternative. It took me years to pay for my alto and tenor. Don't buy any MK VI with a high F# . Practice on :) Terry

1. by Tsaxkid
      (29 posts)

18 years ago

Although I have only been playing one year, I am a seriously player. I play first tenor is a couple of intermediate bands and in a top middle school concert band, and everyone appears to be amazed by my ability after only studying one year. I used to play piano, so this made learning easier. I use a yamaha yts - 62II with a Meyer 6 or Vandoren V16 T75 mouthpiece with a Vandoren V16, Vandoren Java, or Alexander Classique reed (size 3). I have a soprano from Taiwan by the brand of wwbw.com (which was very good for the price) and I used a Yani 901 bari for a few months in a quartet. I am currently working on some unsimplified songs by John Coltrane such as Countdown, Locomotion, Giant Steps, and Blue Trane. I am also working on Summertime as an improvisational song in a jazz combo with five people. I hope this gives you an idea of my playing level.

Reply To Post

1. by Sax_Shark
        (134 posts)

18 years ago

Dag........

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

18 years ago

I've never played one, but a tech friend of mine told me that the horns that saxophone.com sells are the same as the Kohlert and Blessing saxophones made in China. I wouldn't recommend ANY horn made in China! It's not that the Chinese are not intelligent enough to build a quality horn, but these horns (like so many products made in China) are mass-produced using sub-standard equipment and assembled by workers who are poorly trained, over-worked and under-paid. You might get a guitar made in China that plays decent for under $200. Saxophones are a different story. Saxophones require more precision and skill when assembled. If you're looking for a cheap sax, here are a couple suggestions. Check your local newspapers, garage sales or thrift stores for saxophones that a student possibly played in band for a couple years and then decided to play something else. Most people have no idea what these horns are worth and just want to get them out of the closet. I've seen just about every brand imaginable too! Although I have never been so lucky myself, I have even heard of Selmer Mark VI's and other vintage professional horns sold for less than $200 needing very little if any repairs. You just need to look in the right places, and be patient! Sometimes, you may find a good buy on ebay, but if the horn is worth anything at all, someone is going to bid it up! You never have the option of trying the horn first, and you can't always return it either, so BE CAREFUL WITH EBAY! Read the ad carefully and ask lots of questions. Make sure the neck is included, and there are no major dings, dents, etc. BUYING FROM EBAY IS A GAMBLE! Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose! Ask your band director if he/she knows of any instruments for sale cheap! The director may have connections also. I know a repair tech who buys used horns, repairs them, and sells them to schools and students for little more than it costs him to repair them! Possibly your director knows someone who does the same. Post an ad in the newspaper, or in a music store....Wanted: saxophone in good condition for student. Pay up to ??? If you MUST have a new horn, then I would again check with the schools to see what type of payment options and discounts are available. Online companies like Kessler Music, WWBW, and Giardinelli have some decent horns for bargain prices also.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by johnsonfromwisconsin
          (767 posts)

18 years ago

IIRC, Kessler has said that his store-brand models are indeed manufactured in China, and people over at SoTW with some fairly decent collections over of modern and vintage horns report that they're decent. China is, therefore, not a total loss, but He would be the only dealer of Chinese goods I would trust at this particular moment (though the quality is rumoured to be getting better, quickly).

Reply To Post

3. by jamterry
          (573 posts)

18 years ago

I think that I will stop in China on my vacation. Maybe I will buy a violin, and check out the saxophones. I love to play bamboo flute. I have one from China , and one from Vietnam. Johnson, I have been to Wisconsin many times. Very beautiful place. :)

4. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

18 years ago

I think every music store sells a couple horns made in China now. In spite of warnings from people like myself and others, people still waste their money on these poor quality horns. So, if WWBW sells them, Giardinelli sells them, Music123 sells them, and several others, so does Kessler to be competitive. Kessler has a great reputation, and I continue to recommend him. Most of the horns he sells are made in Taiwan, not China. They are made at the same factory were many of the cheaper Conn/Selmer horns are made today, as well as Antigua Winds and Jupiter. Some of the cheaper models are made in China. My honest opinion? They're junk! They're a price point. They're perhaps a better grade of junk that many of the others made in China like Schill, Selmen, Monique, and the crap that idiot Dominic sells, but their quality is very inconsistant. The thing I will say in regards to Kessler however, is that he is pretty straight forward. I trust that if you purchased a horn from him and had problems that he would take care of it. Customer Service is worth a lot.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

5. by johnsonfromwisconsin
          (767 posts)

18 years ago

--------------------------------------------------------------------------- The thing I will say in regards to Kessler however, is that he is pretty straight forward. I trust that if you purchased a horn from him and had problems that he would take care of it. Customer Service is worth a lot. ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Yep, and it's because of his reputation alone that I would tend to trust whatever he sells. The feedback is just too widely positive about him.

Reply To Post

6. by BayviewSax
          (8 posts)

18 years ago

I recently tried two Taiwaniese sopranos (I don't play much soprano); one was junk and one is a winner (as a second, or in my case, 4th). Surprisingly, the junk was a P. Mauriat. The dealer was great and worked with me, but the horn was 1/2 step flat, absolutely could not get it in tune. After seeing all the great feedback on the horns, I decided I'd try a second, but the dealer was having trouble getting one (back ordered). Instead, I had noticed an L.A. Sax, and it had the same case, same accessories, as the more expensive ($500) Mauriat. I took a chance and it's great. It'll probably wear out quicker than a Parisian horn, but at the rate I play soprano, that still gives me several good years and I still have some money in the bank. I've tried a number of Chinese horns (I figure on playing soprano once a night, twice at most) and they've all been absolute swill. Take the $500 you'd spend on once, convert it to ones and then glue them together and you'll have a more in-tune instrument than if you bought one.

Reply To Post

7. by saxjunkie89
          (393 posts)

18 years ago

saxes made from DIFFERENT things

on your last comment, you're probably right. I have even tried to make an alto stand out of legos, NOT FUN. I'm also contemplating about making a sax out of them as well, of course, I would not be able to play it.

Reply To Post