Saxophone Forum

by spifster
(67 posts)
18 years ago

Hoping to prevent the death of my sax

I'm going on a trip to Europe next year with my saxophone, and the group I'm going with is requiring that it goes in checked luggage. They told us to buy a sturdy case because the checkers throw the cases quite hard and many times instruments have been damaged on this trip. The repair technician at my music store told me to never let them put it in checked luggage, it will die no matter what case you have, so just tell them you will carry on. This is not an option for me, so I've asked around and have gotten a lot of different responses on what type of case to use. The first person we asked said skb cases are good, but the next said there's something wrong with the latch that makes them come unhooked and die during flight, and the last person we asked said only walt johnson cases will keep it from dieing. So I'm really confused about what to get, and I was hoping someone on here would know what to do.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Sax_Shark
    (134 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Hoping to prevent the death of my sax

Bubble wrap, duck tape, socks.... I've heard of this solution before. I don't know personally but I would hate to be in your predicament. Why can't you carry the sax on board?

Reply To Post

2. by MarkLavelle
    (300 posts)

18 years ago

A properly closed SKB case shouldn't have any problems at all, and they are probably the toughest standard cases in the world. If you're worried about the latches put some straps on it, too.

Reply To Post

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
      (767 posts)

18 years ago

Secure everything in the case. Make sure there is not wiggle room for anything including the horn, mouthpieces, the neck, everything. It should all be one solid unit inside the case. I would also suggest taking a backup instrument and finding out who or what is making you place your instrument into such peril and, perhaps, voice you're displeasure.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

18 years ago

You definately want a hard case, not a soft case like a Protech. I have a couple SKB cases and they seem very tough. They lock, so I really don't see how the latches could come open. I suppose it's possible, but unlikely. The Walt Johnson cases are nice and offer a lot of protection, but they don't have much room in them for extras. My advice would be to go with the SKB, wrap the neck and accessories in bubble wrap and place some around the sax to help protect it. Then, buy some decal paper for your printer; like you use to made bumper stickers. A Bright, neon color or something, and make a couple stickers that say Fradgile, handle with care and put them on each side of your case. Then, say a prayer and leave it all in God's hands! Best of luck! Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by jamterry
      (573 posts)

18 years ago

You're gettin' too worked up over it. What have you used until now, a trash bag? I don't put my horns in a gig bag and I go to Asia every year. Those baggage handlers don't stand there and bang on your stuff. A good hard shell case locked will be fine.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by spifster
        (67 posts)

18 years ago

trying to get as many questions responded to in one post... it is my first time taking it on a plane, the group i'm going with won't allow saxes on board (their policy not the airlines), it is an alto, and the thing i heard about skb is that there is no lock but if thats not true i dont see what the problem would be thanx guys

Reply To Post

1. by Sax Mom
          (964 posts)

18 years ago

What? Do they expect you to want to take it out of the case and play it on board? Is it only saxes they won't allow? This is absurd!!!

Reply To Post

2. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

18 years ago

I agree, I really don't think that the baggage carriers are as careless as you are making them out to be. I've flown a few times with my sax, and I've never really had any problems. Try the stickers idea if you're really worried about it. You can always peel them off afterwards. Are we talking alto, tenor or baritone sax? My alto case is small enough, I think I could fit case and all into a suitcase and pack some clothes around it to help protect it. I doubt I could do the same with my tenor, but that might be another suggestion.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

3. by saxangel
      (5 posts)

18 years ago

I didn't have a problem with my pro tech case and I have travelled from Sydney Australia to Los Angeles, then to JFK , then I had to put on the Amtrack train from NYC to Detroit, then another plane from Detroit to Chicago, Chicago to Vancouver etc...Make sure it is lockable & be prepared for them to want you to open it when you put it through with your luggage. The type of Pro Tech you need is a hard case that looks like a small back pack, it has optional straps so that you can wear it like a back pack too & it has a great expandable pocket at the front to store your books, or microphone or MD player & it is super soft inside & very protected I trust that this case can be thrown & it did not do any damage to my horn! Pro Tech International around $350

Reply To Post

1. by definition
        (963 posts)

18 years ago

at least for the part of the flight that(I assume) is in the states, show them the letter from this link, they cant stop you from carrying on your horn, plus one bag www.mindspring.com/~atlmusicians/forms/carryon.pdf I've been allowed to carry on my bari after presenting this

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by jamterry
          (573 posts)

18 years ago

I took my horns from LA to Bangkok by air. Bangkok to Vientiane by train. Vientiane to Hanoi by bus. Hanoi to Dong Ha, to Hue, to Da Nang, to Saigon by train. Plus I had two suitcases. I'm not going to mess with that carry on stuff. Anything that I can't put in my pocket I check. On the bus to Hanoi we just piled our luggage in the back of the bus. On the train I had a compartment under my bunk. That's why I have good cases that lock. I don't want to wrestle my horns, I just want to play them.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ