Saxophone Forum

by Sax_Shark
(134 posts)
18 years ago

What's the difference in Saxellos and Sopranos?

Are they basically the same thing? I know the saxello is darker but how much? Is different equipment used with each? Would a soprano mpc be used on a saxello? Are the cases the same? I ask because I am on a limited budget and saxellos tend to run cheaper. I am in high school and want to double (tenor/sop). I am looking to go to college for music. Would it be a smart to buy a saxello to double on? I really just curious. I may or may not do this. I just wanted to see what people around here have to say. Any and all advice would be appriciated. Thanks

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by definition
    (963 posts)

18 years ago

Re: What's the difference in Saxellos and Sopranos?

A Saxello is just a misused description for how the boddy tube is on some sopranos. There is one true saxello, made by king in the 30s, its bell was at a 90 degree angle. The modern counterparts are simply just 'tipped bell' sopranos. But to answer your question, either way it is still a soprano. If you wish to get one, make sure it is from a reputable brand and of good quality, and plays in tune. (I like the Yanigisawa and Antigua winds and Rampone &Cazzani for new ones, Bueschers true tones are hard to beat also)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

18 years ago

The Saxello is a Bb soprano that was originally designed by King, although there are a few others now. The sax is basically straight, but the bell is flared outward, and the neck slightly angled back. Here are a few pictures of a Saxello www.saxpics.com/the_gallery/king/king/saxello/gold

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by Sax_Shark
        (134 posts)

18 years ago

Cool. But does the soprano and the saxello (semi curved included) use different cases, mpcs, etc.?

Reply To Post

1. by definition
          (963 posts)

18 years ago

There will be no difference generally in how you play, or mouthpieces etc, outside of normal preferences. Cases will be different course

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM