Saxophone Forum

by saxdudedc
(11 posts)
18 years ago

Tableaux de Provence

I'm playing Maurice's Tableaux de Provence for a competition and I wanted to know if anybody has any opinions about the piece. What's the grade level? Are there a lot of awkward fingerings? and such. I also found some information about Paule Maurice but it did not give me enough information about her and I don't know which style I should play it in. Any information would help. Thank You

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by mroland153
    (13 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Tableaux de Provence

The piece to my understanding isFrench scenes. So I would think a lighter style of playing would be intended. And the only really awkard fingerings appeat in the first movement the second/ third page. You will get to use every variation of the bb fingering there. There is a good recording by Lynn Klock called Vintage Flora that would probably be helpful to listen to so you can hear the proper style.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by selmer 4evr
      (309 posts)

18 years ago

Try listening to Formeau on this piece it has it's difficulties!!!

Reply To Post

1. by tsax_player
        (76 posts)

18 years ago

The Tableaux is a great piece! I have played it numerous times and suspect I will play it more in the future. As far as a grade level is concerned it is about medium-hard. I have heard juniors in high school play it, and juniors in college that couldn't. It really depends on the player. The last movement is by far the most challenging (tempo alone). Work on it slowly and with a metronome until you feel comfortable at a faster speed. Start rehearsing with your accompianist as soon as possible so the ensemble will be familiar and tight. Good Luck Tracy

Reply To Post