Saxophone Forum

by rednecksax
(24 posts)
18 years ago

doublin'

just wonderin if anyone have any opinions or advice on learning how to play the clarinet or flute for a jazz band. If you double and have some pointers or want to voice your opinion about whether saxes should have to double, I'm interested.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by knorter
    (205 posts)

18 years ago

Re: doublin'

If you have a desire to make a living as a performer then you should definitely double because it gives you the ability to play in more situations. If you are going to do something else for a living and plan to play only certain types of gigs that don't require doubles than don't bother. I am a performer/clinician who doesn't teach private lessons anymore, I only perform. 98% of my work requires doubles whether I'm playing a Broadway show, a jazz big band or a cocktail hour at a wedding I am so glad I double. Most writers are exploring the sounds and textures of doubles in their writing. It is becoming more and more the norm in jazz writing, studio work and shows. If you plan to study flute and clarinet I would get with a teacher who is knowledgeable of classical music and learn a classical sound on both first-then just apply your jazz knowledge to them. Sound, technique, and intonation are the most important things on doubles. Good luck. Kristy

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

18 years ago

I started out on piano when I was 5, decided to take guitar lessons when I was 8, began playing clarinet at age 9, and saxophone at 11. It was around that time that my grandmother bought me my first drum set too. When I was about 13, I picked up a mandolin for the first time and tinkered around with it until I could play a couple songs. I was about 18 or 19 and playing guitar in a rock n' roll band when the bass player couldn't make it one night. The other guitarist, who played mostly rhythem and sang most of the songs, looked at me and says; "dude we are totally screwed unless you can play bass!" Of course, I had never played a bass guitar before! The other guitar player said he couldn't play bass and sing so I had to do it. I got a crash course in bass guitar, which I found to be one of the easiest instruments in the world to play. I began playing bass on stage! About 3 weeks later I decided that I absolutely HAD to have a bass guitar and bought my first. About a month later, I was playing bass in my college jazz band. I tried to hide the fact that I also played saxophone, and begged a couple people who knew that I played sax not to tell! I was having fun with bass and I liked playing bass. If I stayed with bass, I was no threat to the rest of the band, where if I were playing sax, sooner or later, I would have to take over the band! Well, wouldn't you know. Some idiot on tenor kept screwing up his part! I bit my lip. I fought the urge for as long as humanly possible! Then, before I could say "Give me that thing before you hurt yourself!" One of the other members suggested that I show him how it should be played. So, I took away his shiney new Yamaha sax and played one of the most awesome solo's of my career. The director looked at me and asked "Why didn't you tell me you played sax!" and then I was playing sax once again. So what was this post about? Oh yeah, doubling. Up until recently, I was playing mostly keyboard and doubling on sax 2-3 nights per week. I've been a bit more selective lately, and I love jobs where I can just play my saxes. I still play bass occasionally, and once in a while, I'll get a guitar gig. I think every sax player should learn keyboard. Keyboard can open up so many more opportunities and the two just seem to go hand in hand. I think that learning keyboard and piano is what has helped make it so easy for me to learn other instruments also. Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by kelsey
    (930 posts)

18 years ago

If you someday become a pro woodwind player you will have to double or triple. But young High School players can take on too much and never learn to do anything well. Become really good on sax first, then when you are in college, along with the saxophone, study some clarinet and flute. If you are a music major you will also have to study piano..........Kelsey
    Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

1. by tsax_player
      (76 posts)

18 years ago

Learning doubles is crucial for anyone who wants to become a serious jazz saxophonist. It seems every big band gig I have ever had I have doubled or tripled depending on arrangements and situations. Charts that are more advanced will require a different timbre and adding clarinets, and flutes is a great easy way to do this. Also, learn to improvise on clarinet, and flute. I get calls to play dixie land clarinet at least 4-5 times a year. These are great tools to have in your arsenal. I played an orchestra gig last year that called for alto and tenor on one song. The bass clarinetist could not make the performance that night. I dusted off my bass clarinet, read the bass clarinet book and tripled my pay check for the evening! I think Kristy mentioned musicals. Any show I have ever played has called for doubles. A huge plus to this is the majority of the time your payment is determined by the amount of doubling you do in the book. Try to learn them a little at a time. Alternate flute, and clarinet every other day and do thirty minutes on doubles each day. You will be proficient in no time. It will seem stressful but the reward is plentiful. hope this helps, Tracy

Reply To Post

1. by definition
        (963 posts)

18 years ago

Yes, doubling is essential if you gig often. Its almost a gaurantee that if I get a big band type gig on sax I'm bringin along at least a flute or clarinet, and probably an alto or tenor if Im playing bari. Ive had gigs on my trumpet also, and usually that ends up being trumpet, with flugel or trombone. I dont have many gigs where I dont take at least 2 horns with me. Of course, now adays that means 2 horns, bag with more gig accesories(mic, stands, etc) and the PA for my band, my music folder...

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by kelsey
        (930 posts)

18 years ago

Big bands and Shows require doubleing for woodwind players. Some serious jazz players do this to pay the rent. To be a serious jazz saxophone player you don't have to double. Just get a good day job.......kelsey
        Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
          (767 posts)

18 years ago

Often, the Tenor in Big Bands is expected to double clarinet. I wish I knew clarinet a bit better....

Reply To Post

2. by jacobeid
          (24 posts)

18 years ago

Currently I play alto sax, soprano sax, piano, drums, guitar, and bass guitar. I'm not sure what to pick up next. Tenor sax, clarinet, or flute. I know I'm going to college for music and most likely majoring in music education. Any suggestions?

Reply To Post

3. by jamterry
          (573 posts)

18 years ago

All the saxophones are the same. You play one , you play them all. Flute is very close to saxophone, but the embouchure is harder. Clarinet is also harder to play than saxophone. Everybody here has a working knowledge of piano, drums, guitar, and bass. I think you're ready for violin. Don't get too hung up on yourself :) Terry

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ