Saxophone Forum

by fairer_sax
(6 posts)
18 years ago

Where's my G#?

Hi all, Been reading this site for the last 10 months or so and have learnt heaps. Can someone please help me? I can't seem to find G#. I can't hear any difference between normal G and G# when I press down the top key on the left (in that bunch of 4) with my pinky finger. Sorry for not knowing all the right terms, just a beginner. When I press down that top key on the left I can't see it doing anything except move up and down on two pads. I even went to the local music store to check out a new sax and it was the same. What am I doing wrong? Cheers, Darleen

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by definition
    (963 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Where's my G#?

without actually seeing you play, i think you might just be overblowing the horn. Make sure you use a new reed, and make sure you arent puffing your cheecks, and try to use a focused and controlled air stream. Also, remember to support all the air with your diaphram, not your chest, for the best sound. Optimally, your best bet is to go see a sax playing freind, or take a few lessons, for the best feedback.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by MarkLavelle
    (300 posts)

18 years ago

When you press that top left pinky key (and no others) it should just open one pad. If it affects more than one you've got the wrong key (maybe the 'back' key, closest to your body?) or something about your key is messed up. If things move but no pads open then the pad (a couple below the pinky keys) is probably just stuck to the hole and needs to be cleaned a little. It's often enough to just lift it to 'break the seal' though.

Reply To Post

1. by fairer_sax
      (6 posts)

18 years ago

Thanks for your replys. I can't even see anything resembling an opening when I press that top left pinky key. It just rocks between two buffer pads, one on the front and one on the back, but no holes open or close. Can you pls describe the action that pressing that key has? If possible? I think I may need to go to see the guy who fixed the pads for me. From sunny queensland, australia.

Reply To Post

1. by fairer_sax
        (6 posts)

18 years ago

Yay success! It WAS just stuck down. After some more scrutiny I saw it laying down and carefully lifted it up and now I have my G#. Thanks again. Woo hoo.

Reply To Post

1. by MarkLavelle
          (300 posts)

18 years ago

I'm happy to be able to help! You might find it useful to check that every time you start playing - I know I've puzzled myself a few times when I forgot about it...

Reply To Post

2. by tsax_player
          (76 posts)

18 years ago

sticky pads

Here are a few simple things you can do when your pads get the gunk! The first (and easiest) is to take a dollar bill, fold it in half, place it under the pad and while applying a small amount of pressure pull the bill out and repeat. The second might sound a little odd but works rather well. Purchase a small bottle of Camphophenique and with a Q-tip apply a small amount to the pad. I know sounds wierd but works great. I was shown this by a former teacher and great friend Dr. Will Campbell (he is a monster player). Try it out (in moderation). Also watch the low C# it will tend to stick as well as the G#. hope this helps Tracy

Reply To Post

3. by fairer_sax
          (6 posts)

18 years ago

Re: sticky pads

Thanks for the tips Tracy. Impressive bio by the way. I live in Australia and we don't have one dollar bills, they are coins, and our notes are coated in a plastic film. I will try to buy some Camphophenique, not sure what that is, and give it a go. Pad is still sticking. I had my sax serviced last April, had the necessary pads replaced, and only played it for about a month. I have only started playing again in the last week. I always clean it out after each practice with a pull through, and wipe down the outside, then I leave the case open for about an hour. Cheers Darleen

Reply To Post

4. by Sax Mom
          (964 posts)

18 years ago

A twenty-dollar bill works just as well... So do ungummed cigarette papers, though you have to be of age to buy them in this country. Wouldn't believe the look they gave this old lady walking into the tobacco store to buy only the papers, and no tobacco!

Reply To Post

5. by MarkLavelle
          (300 posts)

18 years ago

'Also watch the low C# it will tend to stick as well as the G#.' Been there, too. My home-grown 'trick' is to prop open the low C# pad with a broken reed once in a while between playing sessions. I place it under the pad 'arm' though, NOT between the pad and the hole (and not forcing anything! it only needs to be open a little bit). Because of the linkage system this also holds open the G# pad, giving both a chance to completely dry out. I should probably mention that this is with the sax on a stand, not in the case (my sax only goes in the case when it's travelling, which also helps keep things dry, IMO).

Reply To Post

6. by saxs_make_it_happen
          (42 posts)

18 years ago

yea one thing i like a lot about my CannonBall Raven alto is the little rod-like thing under the key to actualy lift it up when you finger G# and it's flexible of course so other keys can go down that bring the G# key down with them.....I dunno if its on other horns or not I'm sure it is but it sure the heck wasnt on my ol Yammer Hammer lol

Reply To Post Yahoo!