Saxophone Forum

by saxmaniacx
(16 posts)
18 years ago

I need help! What ligature should i get?

I'm getting a Meyer 5m soon and i was wondering what ligature should i get? I want something fairly inexpensive. I was looking a Rovner Light Ligature, would you say thats a good choice?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by tsax_player
    (76 posts)

18 years ago

Re: I need help! What ligature should i get?

I think the Rovner is a good lig. I don't play them anymore because I feel the cloth does not support the reed evenly. I played a big band gig with Dave Pietro a few years ago and he informed me that a metal lig will support the reed better applying even pressure, and allowing it to vibrate freely. I have since changed to playing "olegature" it has the same design as the Rovner but with a metal chain link instead of the cloth. All that said, a good lig is important but I find there is not much difference in the oleg, or rovner, compared to a basic lig. Find something that fits the mouthpiece well, is easy to use, and makes you confident in your sound. Tracy

Reply To Post

2. by jamterry
    (573 posts)

18 years ago

I would say; don't try to hot rod it. Use what comes with it. That's a medium chamber, and I wouldn't want to color that sound. An alto is very pristine and doesn't need much soup like a tenor. The light ligature will jack your low end. Best of luck to you :) Terry

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by saxjunkie89
      (393 posts)

18 years ago

I got a Meyer 5M in November 04, and the stock lig was sufficient for me. Eventually, maybe last August, I got a BG France Super Revelation Lig. that I still use. It's amazing! If $40 isn't much of a loss for you, it's a good lig to get. Oh, I use a Rovner Light on my (school's) bari, and it works great, too!

Reply To Post

3. by kelsey
    (930 posts)

18 years ago

The Myer's I have bought came with a ligature. When it breaks buy a Rovner or what ever.....Kelsey
    Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

18 years ago

The new Rovner Evo 5 is a great lig. I've used Rovners forever and they're great. I like them more for their simplicity than their sound. Ligs really don't have that much effect on tone. I know people talk about the Olegs and the Ultimates and how great they are. They may be fantastic ligs, but they cost too much! Most or your better mouthpieces come with ligs that are fine.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by CountSpatula
        (602 posts)

18 years ago

I like the The Ultimate Ligature by Francois Louis that they sell on this site...and if you read about it so does everyone else that opperates this site..and also the Vandoren Optimum ligature is great too, just like the rovner (1 screw thing) but metal and you can change the plates so less parts touch the reed...and the gold one matches my reference in color=)

Reply To Post AIM

1. by jamterry
          (573 posts)

18 years ago

Maybe they will come out with a ligature that matches worn off lacquer. They can call it the "Vintage". I remember Gibson "aging" new Les Paul guitars. I think I'll come out with a ligature called the "Pick VI" gauranteed to give players that MK VI sound. JUST KIDDING :)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ