Saxophone Forum

by MHreczuck
(14 posts)
18 years ago

New or Vintage?

I'm a mostly classical player looking for a "new" alto. I've been looking at Buescher Aristocrats, Conn 6M, and then the Selmer Reference 54. I love the Selmer but I'll probably have to scrape pennies to afford it, and the Bueschers are attracting me because I'm finding a lot of silverplated ones for sale so I can be a little picky with the model. I want something with a reputation and sound that will last, as this will probably be the only one I purchase. What are your opinions?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Dave Dix
    (421 posts)

18 years ago

Re: New or Vintage?

For classical any pre 1963 buescher will do but the 140 is better built then the later 141 but the post 1926 true tones have a fabulous darkish focussed sound that is very hard to beat unless you can find a new aristocrat Dave

Reply To Post

1. by MHreczuck
      (14 posts)

18 years ago

There's a true tone in my family but unfortunately it may be only good for parts, I haven't had a good look at it in several years, no idea on its serial. I've been looking at the Aristocrats at vintagesax and it looks like they're all 140. There are some new aristocrats as well and I was looking at the 26635x model, which someone previously here posted about and you had replied on. The concern for me is it's been relacquered, so it looks stunning but I've always heard dubious things about putting a horn through that. BTW I've read a lot of your posts and I always learn something, so thank you! I'm really trying to do my homework.

Reply To Post

2. by barisax999
    (400 posts)

18 years ago

if you play legit, dont go conn. they are more or less jazz horns and is not good. the selmer is good, but i would go with a vi or SBA. you might also want to look at the Buffet, they have outstanding classical sound. i dont know models of buffets or i would give you specifics. check out saxontheweb.com or possibly .net for more on strong legit horns.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by Dave Dix
      (421 posts)

18 years ago

It may be worth having a look at that true tone , if its all there and has the top front F key your probs could be over. Dave

Reply To Post

2. by MHreczuck
      (14 posts)

18 years ago

I here 'ya on the Conn. I'm pretty much sold on getting a Buescher, it's just a matter of which one. :)

Reply To Post

1. by Sax Mom
        (964 posts)

18 years ago

My (public) experience is almost 100 percent legit, and I've played Conn's for most of it. I find the Conn very versatile with a little bit of skill and control.

Reply To Post

1. by jing24
          (31 posts)

18 years ago

try a super action 80 but it costs BUT it's balanced in classical and jazz

Reply To Post

2. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

18 years ago

The Conn 6M is a great horn. True, they are a favorite among jazz and blues players, but it really all depends on the set-up. My Buescher 400 alto has a darker, more mellow sound than my 6M. For classical, my choice would be a Selmer SBA. Very sweet horn for classical.

Reply To Post Yahoo!