Saxophone Forum

by straightj23
(103 posts)
18 years ago

saxes to try?

I am planning on buying a new saxophone for college. I plan on trying the Yamaha 82Z Silver Plated Alto. Any other suggestions on what I should try? Vintage or new? I plan on playing mainly legit on alto in college. I already have a kick-butt tenor. Another question. I currently own a Yamaha YAS23 Student Alto Sax. I plan on keeping it at least until the end of my last marching season. However, when I get my new alto, should I go ahead and sell my old alto? How much do you think I can get for it? I appreciate your input. Thank you.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by MarkLavelle
    (300 posts)

18 years ago

Re: saxes to try?

I believe in trying as many as you can get your hands on, preferably side by side. Is there a shop anywhere near you (close enough to spend 1/2 a day) that carries a good variety? I just bought a used YAS-23 for my daughter for just under $400. If yours is in good playing condition and relatively unblemished you could probably get $500 selling it yourself via Craig's list or the like... Last year I bought a YTS-82Z for myself and I love it. If the alto is similar I think you'll find it's versatile enough for any kind of music.

Reply To Post

2. by johnsonfromwisconsin
    (767 posts)

18 years ago

I liked the 82Z as a concert/classical player myself. A number of jazz people here have good to say about that horn as well. My favorite modern alto is the Selmer Ref 54, which I don't unfortunately own. Three other favorites of mine, in no particular order are the 82Z, the Selmer SA80 Series II, and the Yanagisawa 992. I'd keep the old Yamaha horn for instances or venues where you don't want to bring you're 'A' equipment along.

Reply To Post

3. by kelsey
    (930 posts)

18 years ago

Yamaha 82Z Alto is a wise choice. Silver plated is good if you wear gloves when you play and enjoy polishing horns. But if you just want a good horn that dosen't take a lot of work to keep shiney get the regular laquer. It's cheaper and easier ...Kelsey
    Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM