Saxophone Forum

by Tubby_Man
(48 posts)
18 years ago

Curved Soprano vs Strait Soprano

What are the differences between the curved and strait soprano apart from the shape? Are there any tone differences or anything?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by kledbet
    (1 post)

18 years ago

Re: Curved Soprano vs Strait Soprano

I find the curved plays more like a small alto. For some reason at least for me the high notes are easier on a curved model. You can also hear it better as the bell is angled towards you. I own a Yanagisawa curved 992 and a Rampone tipped bell Saxello (silver) and use and like both of them. Make sure you play both before you buy. Kevin

Reply To Post

1. by Radjammin
      (255 posts)

18 years ago

I have very little experience on Soprano but I do like the Curved Soprano more. For me, a curved horn is what I grew up on, having owned an Alto and Tenor and played significant Bari work. It just feels more like a sax to me. I have to admit sometimes it's hard not to use Clarinet fingering on a Straight Soprano by accident. Also I can get a richer sax sound on the curved one, I tend to give it body like an alto. On the straight model, the sound just tends to go to that round projecting sound like that of other simliar instrumets, clarinet and oboe. Maybe I don't have or want that classic Soprano high wine and prefer a more rich overtone focus down of a good Sax sound. Why should the Soprano have any different a tone standard then other saxes, it's just a 4th up and a little smaller?

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by Tubby_Man
        (48 posts)

18 years ago

I dont have a soprano (as I have only recently started playing) but would like to get one in the future. I think the curved soprano looks far better than the strait! I'm glad to hear that thier isn't much tonal difference.

Reply To Post

2. by Tenor_Guru
      (25 posts)

18 years ago

Yes, basically, a straight soprano is straight and a curved soprano is curved. I'm sure if one person play a straight and then a curved, someone wouldn't be able to tell the difference unless they saw them. I personally preffer the straight; often times I'll find myself overpowering the band with a curved. And being 6'4", a curved soprano seems just a little akward on me...

Reply To Post AIM

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

18 years ago

I have found that the straight sopranos typically have better intonation. Of the curved sopranos that I have tried, I think the Yanagisawa has the best. The key arrangement on the curved soprano is a bit more cumbersome for someone with larger hands also, like Tenor Guru was saying. Of course, I first started on Clarinet, and playing a straight horn felt perfectly natural to me.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by knorter
          (205 posts)

18 years ago

I absolutely agree with Jim. By adding a curve to any instrument you modify the direction of the sound waves. This can create interference between waves. Anyone out there studied sound waves in college? Maybe someone could describe it better. Larger instruments need to be bent for practical reasons, but the soprano just plays better in tune when it is straightened.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

2. by jamterry
        (573 posts)

18 years ago

A saxophone is an open end air column. It needs a disturbance of that air to vibrate at its natural frequencies. A straight air column is the most efficient way to achieve those frequencies, which makes the straight soprano easier to play in tune. The curved one is a tight squeeze for those sound waves. I do remember a guy that played a curved soprano in the Lawrence Welk orchestra. He's probably dead by now, but he was a great saxophone player. Terry

1. by Radjammin
          (255 posts)

18 years ago

Cheers to my long past Sax Brothern of the Lawrence Welk Orch. I really wish I had more play time on Soprano so I could stand my ground on Curve is better then Straight. Soprano being straight just doesn't sound like a member of the Sax family. There's something Saxy about it being curved. I think the sound "distortion" is what makes a sax a sax. When I think of the Strait Soprano its like the other white meat sax. Not really a sax in sound. It probaby is smoother, but not as saxy as it's family members. Sounds like a Metal English Horn. I can't pinpoint what I don't like about the sound, just not saxy. It's got a great tone. Anyone else have the problem of using Clarinet finguring by accident on a straight Soprano?

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by Tubby_Man
            (48 posts)

18 years ago

I agree with Radjammin about the whole curve thing being how saxes should be! The first time I saw a strait soprano I thaught "What, thats not a sax"! Of corse I cant comment on the sound as iv'e never played any kind of soprano.

Reply To Post

1. by Sax Mom
              (964 posts)

18 years ago

What makes a sax is the brass and the cone and the tone holes and keys, not to mention the player. Straight or curved, it's still a sax. A girl in my high school played a metal clarinet--I always thought that looked wrong, but it was still a clarinet. It is separated from the sax mostly by shape (straight, same diameter throughout, except for bell--rather than conical, like the sax). The difference in shape makes a huge difference in sound. I like the straight soprano better, though I don't recall ever trying to play a curved one. The curved ones look too much like toys, since there seems to be little reason to curve them. Even an alto would play practically straight into the floor if it wasn't curved (at least when sitting). The soprano doesn't have that problem. Plus, I have no problem hearing myself when playing the straight soprano.

Reply To Post

2. by jamterry
              (573 posts)

18 years ago

I remember our third grade class playing tonette once a week. The teacher accompanied us on a autoharp. In fourth grade we had the oppotunity to play in the district band program. All the school clarinets were a silver metal of some sort. A few kids had their own wood clarinets.The is the first time I remember seeing the name Le Blanc (spelling?). I had my old hunk 'o junk Buescher alto. I've had a soprano less than a year, and it is a straight one.