Saxophone Forum

by Tubby_Man
(48 posts)
18 years ago

Best Manufacturer?

Lets discuss our opinions on the different manfacturer's, pros and cons!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by blackfrancis
    (396 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Best Manufacturer?

Just leave it at Conn.

Reply To Post

1. by saxjunkie89
      (393 posts)

18 years ago

oooh... Conns are great, though. I own a 24MHF alto, the student model, and I think it plays much better than a Reference 54 (leaving it open to pro-Selmer arguments)

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

18 years ago

Of course the "BEST" horn is a matter of opinion, but here are my thoughts. Best sounding horns, vintage: Conn 6M and 10M, King Super 20 Best action, Vintage: Selmer SBA or Mark VI Best Intonation, Vintage: Buescher Aristocrat or 400 Top Hat & Cane Best Value; Vintage: Buescher Aristocrate or later Conn 10M (1948-1968) NEW HORNS Best sounding horn: Keilwerth SX-90R and Selmer Reference 54 Best Action: Selmer Reference 54, Yanagisawa 992 Best Intonation: Yanagisawa 992, Yamaha 62 Best Value: Yamaha 62, Cannonball Big Bell Global Series Personal favorites: The Conn 6M and 10M, Buescher 400 Top Hat & Cane, King Zephyr and Super 20, Keilwerth SX-90R, Yamaha 62 On a budget: Conn Director's model 14M (alto) and 16M (tenor), King Cleveland models, 613, Antigua Winds, P. Mauriat, Kessler Custom, LA Sax, EM Winston.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

18 years ago

I left out the dates on the Conn Directors models. 1955-1968 are the ones to buy. Also, I mention EM Winston. I've found some of their horns to be quite decent when compared to others in the same price range, but I have noticed that more of the EM Winstons are made in China, and not Taiwan, and the quality is not as good. With any of these cheaper horns, you really need to look them over carefully and play them if at all possible.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by Tubby_Man
          (48 posts)

18 years ago

I thaught Selma was considered the best make?

Reply To Post

3. by landrusax
          (44 posts)

18 years ago

I agree that old (pre serial #315000) Conns are great, but I think the most reliable and mechanicaly sound horns are the old Selmer Super Balanced Action and early Mark VI. Conns have a beautiful round and fat sound, but overall I have found that I prefer playing on Selmers. If you could get the sound of a Conn and the mechanics of a Selmer you could have the perfect horn. I've owned a few Keilwerth SX-90R's and have found them to be a great modern horn. But it doesn't get any better than the vintage Conns, Selmers and King Super 20.

Reply To Post

4. by saxjunkie89
          (393 posts)

18 years ago

Tubby_Man, do you mean Selmer? Even if you don't, although I don't know what else you could mean, it's all a matter of opinion and preferences. As I said before, I played a Selmer Reference 54 once, and I didn't think that it matched my Conn's sound, which I personally prefer. I'm up to testing different brands from what I play, but I'm happy with what I do play. Soprano: J. Erich Alto: Conn 24MHF Tenor: Selmer USA Bundy Bari: Yamaha YBS-61

Reply To Post

5. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

18 years ago

Selmer the best make? Well, that is a common misconception :)

Reply To Post Yahoo!

6. by definition
          (963 posts)

18 years ago

I agree Jim!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

7. by Tubby_Man
          (48 posts)

18 years ago

I wasn't saying Selmer was the best make (I don't know, iv'e only recently started playing). It's just that all the web-sites iI go on say thay Selmer is regarded as the beast.

Reply To Post

8. by CountSpatula
          (602 posts)

18 years ago

I guess im one of the few who like selmers haha. I'm not a big fan of conn...they're just weird to me. and the tenor sax plays on an old one thats almost impossible to get a note out on and plays outta tune so he uses a yamaha for professional stuff. I like the reference 54. Its just the sound of it that I want. But going back, it could be that conn. I found a website that shows professionals horns they play on, some conns, mainly Mark VI's, some random other ones. And that last post did you mean "Selmer is regarded as the best?" or beast...but the beast part sounds funny haha.

Reply To Post AIM

9. by johnsonfromwisconsin
          (767 posts)

18 years ago

For Modern, I really like Selmers for tone and I really like Yanagisawa for build and mechanics. For vintage? Buescher. Great warmth. Sturdy. Posesses good intonation for vintage. Decent keywork overall.

Reply To Post

10. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

18 years ago

It's pretty hard to beat Buescher for intonation. Even their earlier True Tone models were very good for their day. They were preferred by many of the top players at that time also.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

11. by Sax Mom
          (964 posts)

18 years ago

Does your friend's Conn generally play sharp? I believe Conn's were made to have a Larger mouthpiece than other saxophones generally have. When I put a different mouthpiece (one other than the Conn it came with), my Tenor plays sharp, too. I solve the problem by raising the neck about 3/32 of an inch, and tighten the screw there. Then I have no problem.

Reply To Post

12. by CountSpatula
          (602 posts)

18 years ago

Wouldn't it be a lot easier just to grab a tuner and pull out un poco? (Thats small for those who dont habla espanol :P)

Reply To Post AIM

13. by Sax Mom
          (964 posts)

18 years ago

The mouthpiece would not seal if it was pulled out far enough to be in tune without making the neck adjustment I've made.

Reply To Post

14. by CountSpatula
          (602 posts)

18 years ago

ew...

Reply To Post AIM

15. by Dave Dix
          (421 posts)

18 years ago

replace the neck cork or wrap some teflon tape on it Dave

Reply To Post

16. by Sax Mom
          (964 posts)

18 years ago

I had the neck cork replaced three times (years ago) before I learned that they would not put thicker cork on the neck. Like I said, it works to raise the neck.

Reply To Post

17. by jamterry
          (573 posts)

18 years ago

Sax Mom do you have a 3/32 sleeve (ring) that you slip on your neck to raise it? Or do you just eyeball it? Just curious. It seems like a 3/32 ring would be pretty happening. All the best to you :) Terry

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

18. by johnsonfromwisconsin
          (767 posts)

18 years ago

-------------------------------------------------------------------- I had the neck cork replaced three times (years ago) before I learned that they would not put thicker cork on the neck. Like I said, it works to raise the neck ------------------------------------------------------------------- If they don't regard your input and meet your needs, I wouldn't encumber them with my furthur buisness. Making a neck cork to customer specs isnt' difficult. Furthurmore, I'm not sure that a neck tenon is done properly unless it will hold the correct sized mpc on snug with less than an inch. In my non-expert opinion, the leading edge of the cork should offer resistance against the mouthpiece's bore sliding on.

Reply To Post

19. by Sax Mom
          (964 posts)

18 years ago

Jamterry, No, I don't have a ring, I estimated. It's a bit less than 1/8 inch...just enough so the octave mechanism still works. JohnsonfromWisconsin, I agree with you, but, since what I am doing works, I don't see the need to try to get a larger cork on there now. I believe a big part of it was the, "I'm the tech, and you're just a girl," problem... My tech today is a guy that went to college with me... we respect one another. If I were to ask him to make it right, I believe he would. Off-topic: I took a car into the dealer mechanic (under warranty) telling them it felt like it was missing (only during accelleration). They didn't believe me. It took them all day before the guy finally unscrewed the hood lightbulb, put a blanket over his head, and had a buddy step on the gas. There was a pinhole in the lead spark-plug wire that didn't get the charge where it needed to go... After that, they believed me!

Reply To Post