Saxophone Forum

by saxs_make_it_happen
(42 posts)
18 years ago

I jus played the 4th F#...I'm confused lol

ok I was practicin my altissimo notes up to 4th(octave) C (which I thought was the highest my horn could go) but I was playing the 3rd octave F and F# when I overblew a little and it jus played another octave up! I been playin around with it and Im positive it's F and F# it's fingered the same and everything. Anyone know the highest these things can go??? I play a Cannonball "Raven" Alto. selmer C*, vandoren optimum lig. and Hemke 3 reeds.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxs_make_it_happen
    (42 posts)

18 years ago

Re: I jus played the 4th F#...I'm confused lol

I got E flat, E, F and F# they are all fingered the same as in the 3rd octave....startin to hurt my lip though lol

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by definition
      (963 posts)

18 years ago

the only limit to the upper range of a wind instrument is the player

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
        (767 posts)

18 years ago

actually, the reed would be the absolute limitation.

Reply To Post

(42 posts)

18 years ago

well these Hemke 3 reeds are amazing at altissimo its really easy and the notes are full. so that throws a full octave to my chromatic that I CAN play....no tellin how high other ppl have gone

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by Radjammin
        (255 posts)

18 years ago

Just wanted to comment on your rocken sax, I got a Cannonball Black Nickel Silver Keys. I love it to. One problem though, Do you have any problem with your Front E and F? Mine don't speak very well. Side work fine, I keep getting stopped on High E High F. I would suspect leaking but My lowerend if playing find. Wispering Low Bs. I tend to play 2.5s and don't like playing 3s. I would rather throw out 2.5s then play on 3s. just have never enjoyed thicker reeds. I would rather adjust my pitch then have the reeds do it for me and give me a head ache.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

(42 posts)

18 years ago

No, every note comes out full from low B flat all the way up to that 4th F# now ('cept for the 4th D I dunno it yet). May be your reed because I audidtioned with an old reed one time and cut my own throat because it was weak and I had trouble with high notes. felt like a NOOB lol. oh well we all make mistakes. Try breking in a 3 vandoren or hemke. those are my 2 fav's right now. Once they aren't petrified anymore they play really good. I like the hemke a little more though honestly because they break in in about a minute and they are really responsive.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by Radjammin
            (255 posts)

18 years ago

Because it's only impacting these 2 notes played in a particular way (front F and E), I suspect a mechanical problem.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

(42 posts)

18 years ago

o its ur 2nd octave E and F?? then mabey ......not sure. my apologies I thought you meant 3rd octave E and F

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by Radjammin
              (255 posts)

18 years ago

just to clarify, Starting at the bottom of the sax, it's the 3rd octive up- E and F. On the Music staff it's above the G that sits above the staff. I know them as Front E or Front F. I already had the horn looked at, when I got it back the whole horn played easier, but still had the problem, maybe a little less persistant. I initially contributed it to getting use to the air flow of a new horn, but the probelm remains as I have become used to the horn.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

3. by CountSpatula
              (602 posts)

18 years ago

Well you can play beyond that depending what size your mpc and reed is... Before I knew much about jazz our teacher bought us these crappy mouthpieces but they were big and I was using a way to big reed on them (Extremely hard to play) and If i bit down hard as i could i could go to the 5th octive D (pissed everyone off) it gets to a point where its just a squeek...harder you bite the sharper it gets...haha. but it was near impossible to get a 3 G or A etc. But if I use a reed the right size for me to hit those, the highest I can get up to is probably a 4th A...but it kills my lip...and I never go that high except in the gordon goodwin song "Count Bubba" the high school trumpets cant hit a double c at the end so I play a 4th G and sounds ok=). Our trumpets are worthless...

Reply To Post AIM