Saxophone Forum

by saxophonegrl_alto_bari
(48 posts)
18 years ago

the pressure is on

I have a solo this saturaday at this thing that is like this solo contest and i am really nervous about it. so any help that you guys can give me that will help me live through this with any dignaty well be nice. I guess you should know a little bit more about this solo. I play Bari, I will be playing with a piano so technically it is a duet, there is going to be 2+ judges, and this is not for a grade. if you have heard of the song it is called, "Winter Rahpsody." and it is pretty easy. so thax for the help.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by definition
    (963 posts)

18 years ago

Re: the pressure is on

Just breathe, and fergot about the judges, and play it musical and pretty like you always do

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by Sax Mom
      (964 posts)

18 years ago

Re: the pressure is on

Face the judges, smile, if you're supposed to introduce yourself and what you'll be playing, do so. Then forget about the judges, and make the solo yours, for your ears. Afterwards, listen to what they say, and be thankful for their advice.

Reply To Post

2. by JZ
    (83 posts)

18 years ago

Re: the pressure is on . . . on them

If you are on stage, then you have the best seat in the house! If everyone is looking at you, then you can see each one of them. The difference is that they think you are the TV. So you can watch other people when they have let their guard down. Nose pickers, generally untalented bored people. You get to see all their weird behaviors, because they think -- what -- that you are a television? Talent-less jerks. Here's the thing. You are being judged, but you can judge them too. The judges are probably on your side and appreciate your little bit of nervousness. Other people are there, perhaps in some cases, not to enjoy the music, but to judge YOU. Turn it back on them: you have the best seat in the house and they've let down their guard. Not meaning to be harsh. Just a tool for surviving a minor crisis. Anyway, you should blow it totally on a few songs while you are still young just so you get it out of the way. The worst that can happen (usually) isn't so bad after all, but you only learn that through trial by fire. Another thing that works is to talk to the audience or judges. Remember, they think you are a TV, and if you buy into that you get this weird cycle going. When I did an internship in Wash DC they made us practice a 30-second introduction when contacting someone by phone. Who you are, where you are from (organization) what you want from them. Get up there and say who you are, whom you represent, and what you are going to do -- why this song. Just break the ice with the audience, and afterward, when nobody else has talked to the audience but you, everyone will remember you and think you were the winner even if you weren't !

Reply To Post