Saxophone Forum

by sax_a_gogo
(23 posts)
18 years ago

Hello all... new sax in da house

Hi, just wanted to introduce myself to the group. I'm nearing the young age of 40 and have played sax since grade 9 in high school. That's 25 years! Can't believe it! I was in a 'Wedding' band for 10 years and had a blast through University playing gigs every weekend. But then, I dropped music for a hi-tech career and wife, but am now searching for something to heal the soul and am back in the fold. I've partnered up with my friend Bozidar on Classical guitar (and even learned how to play it myself.. lol) and we are doing duets as well as working to piece a group together. My wife joins in on piano now and then. I play a Selmer S80 series one Tenor from mid 80's, which I bought new back then, paired with a Dukoff M7. My secondary horn is a Couf alto from W.Germany, bought used in the 80's. Lakey Jazz mouthpiece on that guy. I also have recently acquired a S80 series 1 alto, which kills the Couf! Wish I had that before, I might have played alto more :) I put a Selmer silver C** jazz mouthpiece on it and it cooks. I do play clarinet as well and use a Selmer Centered Tone from the 50's ala Benny Goodman. Really rich open tone. (But I still love the sax better). Toyed with flute, as well, but it never did for me, although I did play Andrea Bocceli's 'conte partiro' at a wedding reception for a friend with my wife on piano. Of course, I use the venerable Senheisser MD421 mic for live and recording. That thing is beaten to death and still performs amazingly. If someone knows of a better sax mic, I'd love to hear about it. Check out the site I built for my classical guitar friend at www.bozidar.com. You'll see me on sax in the pics. Cheers, and drop me a line at [email protected]. Oh, one more thing, I just have to say that with all the marvels of technology, no one has managed to reproduce the sound of a good sax! :)

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Sax Mom
    (964 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Hello all... new sax in da house

Hey, I like the web site! You're a bit younger than I, and your sax is a lot younger than mine--never had a new one. I play vintage Conn. Welcome to the forum!

Reply To Post

1. by sax_a_gogo
      (23 posts)

18 years ago

Thanks for the welcome!

I've never tried a Conn, and I bought the Couf used, although that wasn't vintage then. But once I got the SA80, the Couf didn't come out too much :) Believe the Selmer hype ... tone! Hopefully my own site will be done soon (too many things going on at once) , and a sax-guitar duet album will be completed this year. See you in the forum ! Stefan

Reply To Post

1. by definition
        (963 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Thanks for the welcome!

Welcome!! I play on vintage american horns also mainly, though my sopranos are actually both modern, and my Low A bari is. I have the rest of my saxes are vintage horns. Rampone and cazzani sop, yanagisawa sop, king zephyr alto, King super 20 tenor, beuscher TH&C tenor, and Conn 10M tenor, The Martin low Bb Bari, Keilwerth Low A Bari, Buescher true tone Bass.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by sax_a_gogo
          (23 posts)

18 years ago

Nice collection!

Ive taken to collecting classical/flamenco guitars since my friend started teaching me. I'm up to the Grade 8 level in 2 years and have accumulated 40 guitars from around the world! Still only 3 saxes though :) Have a few clarinets (series 9, centered tone) and yamaha and armstrong gold flutes. Now I just need TIME to play all these cool things along with drums, bass, etc. :)

Reply To Post

2. by definition
          (963 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Nice collection!

Thats quite a number of guitars!!! I dont just have saxes actually, I have a decent number of other woodwind and brasswind horns Gemeinhardt Roy Seaman Signature Piccolo, Muramatsu DS flute, Buffet R13 Greenline clarinet, and a Metal King Silversonic clarinet, Holton Superbone trombone, Finh Silverflair trombone, Getzen Capri trumpet, Yamaha student trumpet, king tempo 600 trumpet, Holton colligieate trumpet modified with 2 bells, a yamaha xeno flugel, and a getzen capri flugel

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

3. by sax_a_gogo
          (23 posts)

18 years ago

Don't make me send you my spreadsheet :)

The amazing thing is that I have over 100 musical instruments of sorts, the flutes being the smallest to store :) It's amazing how many guitars one can fit into a room really. There's 10 in my Living Room right now and 7 are in cases! There's just so much interesting stuff out there and can be bought easily now with the net that it makes you want to try everything. In the end tho, I have my 5-10 instruments that get serious play time. The rest are good, but why play them when you have something better :) Be nice to get a bone sometime, but I don't like to buy anything I don't play, and I'm no good on the brass section (and my wife wouldn't stand for me blowin her away. The tenor w the dukof M7 is bad enough :) My guitar friend is afraid of it !

Reply To Post