Saxophone Forum

by sax_a_gogo
(23 posts)
18 years ago

Selmer Mark VI the 'bomb'?

I currently have Selmer S80 series 1 Tenor and alto saxes. I've heard the hype about mark VI horns being the best tonally but have never had the opportunity to try one. I have also read that series 2 & 3 S80s are not as good tonally as the series 1. I'm quite happy with the 2 horns I have, but I keep wondering if I'm missing out on some better tones from a Mark VI, or if I should even get a new shiny S80 or if that's a step backwards. The S54 looks like a remake of the VI but is it as good? Can anyone comment if there is any truth to these opinions or which of the Selmer series is known for the best open tone? Obviously reeds, mouthpieces, etc. have a huge impact as well, but I'm referring to the horn itself. Are there any ergonomic advantages to one over the other? I think the S80 has some of the best ergonomics and I have no complaints about mine. I didn't like the 7 series when I tried it from a finge feel perspective. Cheers, Stefan

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by swingstreet
    (315 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Selmer Mark VI the 'bomb'?

I think while the Mark VI is highly regarded, I think it's overrated. Sure, the ergonomics were better than comparable horns of the time, but as far as tone was concerned, Conn Chu Berry's, and their ^ and 10M's, as well as The Martins, and Buescher's had a superior tone. But that's just my opinion.

Reply To Post

2. by susanyost32
    (6 posts)

16 years ago

decided to post even though such an old thread. my thoughts mirror to acertain extent what was posted above. My experiences might also add some data for would be sax purchasers. Mk VI saxophones change during the run and are actually a set of different mk VI designs. I will use tenor as an example. I have one that is like 97xxx or something. intonation is perfect and the tone is full and alive.early Mk VI tone is alot like SBA but intonation is absolutely perfect.The horns just sing. they are amazing. One of the most important things about the VI is the response as mentioned above. you can play lightning fast on these horns.blindingly fast with out having to struggle or think about it. next i have an early mk VII tenor.these can be had for much less money. The neck design on mk VII tenor is horible. take the original neck out and run over it with the car or lose it or something and get a different neck from a SBA or mk VI or something and you have a horn every bit as good as a later mk VI for much less money. later mk VI/early VII saxophones are very good horns, they just sound different than the early ones. response is good and fast and they sing as well just a little different song. Next: once for a couple of years i had a reference 36 tenor. its like a stuffy dark clasical oriented horn. most likely just a series III in sheeps clothing. It has nothin at all in common with 1936 SBA selmer saxophone. response was so poor even after having gloger make a neck for it that the thing was/is unplayable. the horn also required a very different type of brighter mouthpiece because it was so dark sounding. actually dark is giving it something. "dead" yea thats waht it was. it was DEAD. it didn't ring or sing in any way and was over all just a horrible piece of crap at least for my purposes.

Reply To Post

1. by Jaegerbob
      (1 post)

16 years ago

Regarding susanyost32 comments. I had an old MkVi Tenor when I was in college. It had a mellow "round" tone, no edge to it at all. Years later I got together with an old friend with his Vi. when I asked to try his he pulled the neck off and I put mine on. His sax sounded like mine same tonal qualities.. With his neck on my horn it sounded like his horn originally sounded. Even with switcheing mouth pieces around It was the necks that made the difference.

Reply To Post

3. by jamterry
    (573 posts)

18 years ago

A Mk VI is only as good as it's playing condition. I bought my tenor and alto new, so I don't consider them vintage. I bought a soprano last year from a guy that I can trust. Be real careful in spending that kind of money. If i were in your shoes, I would buy a ref 54. They have the best ergonomics on the market. It sounds as good as any horn out there. A new horn is yours and not somebody else's problems. :) Terry

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by Dave Dix
      (421 posts)

18 years ago

Tonally i find the vintage buescher aristocrats ,especially the series1's are far superior from the mk6 Dave

Reply To Post

2. by sax_a_gogo
      (23 posts)

18 years ago

Good point. But everything becomes vintage as it ages, even us :) I buy used classical guitars sight unseen all the time. It's the only way I can find high quality instruments wo paying a fortune. Used ones can be resold wo a loss usually as well if you pay market value or less. This guy is obviously hawking selmer's but he has a pretty in depth comparison review : www.selmer.com/phpBB/saxophone/viewtopic.php?t=3&highlight=mark+vi If even Selmer is copying their own Mark VI in the reference series, there must be something good about it :) It would be great to find a review of a mark VI side to side with a Ref 54.

Reply To Post

1. by definition
        (963 posts)

18 years ago

search the forum on www.saxontheweb.net a couple of people did those comparisons when the ref series horns first came out, so you'll have to dig to find them, but they are there

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by jamterry
          (573 posts)

18 years ago

I've had two of my MK VI's for 40 years and I have played the Ref 54 tenor. The biggest difference that I see between the MK VI and other horns is in the alto. I notice it least in the tenor. It's not hard to get a good tenor sound. The soprano I've had less than a year, and I haven't played any others for comparison. I liked the Ref 54 a lot, and the lacquer is beautiful. The Selmer dark lacquer, the right side bell keys, and the octave key are what first caught my eye on the MK VI. Don't buy anyrhing you haven't played through. Terry

2. by sax_a_gogo
          (23 posts)

18 years ago

It's tough to get a hold of horns to try, esp. the older ones. I usually find them on the net, not locally. Although playing them, that is the best way. Have you ever compared the Super Action 80 series 1 I have to either the MkVI or Ref54? I'm curious if it's worth the upgrade to either. I do like mine. But that's only until you hear something better :) I have both tenor and alto. I don't like switching instruments unless there's a really good reason. And I take care of mine so they're pretty much like new.

Reply To Post

3. by selmerfan
          (67 posts)

18 years ago

As for a side by side comparison, I should be able to get back to you on that in the alto realm shortly. I play lead tenor in an area big band and the lead alto player is truly fantastic, I love his sound and ideas. He plays on a modified Series I, and I'm taking my Mark VI up to him to try out this weekend. He's going to keep it for a while and see if he wants to move to a Mark VI or a Serie III. He's tried the Serie III and loves the intonation improvements, but wants to explore the sound of a well set-up Mark VI. As for the F# key, mine's got it, one of my student's horns doesn't, I can't really tell a difference, but we do have different bow lengths.... selmerfan

Reply To Post

4. by jamterry
          (573 posts)

18 years ago

I think you are hooked up. Wait until something falls in your lap. That'a what I did with my soprano. I told a guy who wheels and deals Selmers to let me know when he had a MK VI soprano. One day he showed up at my door. Don't be too anxious :) Terry

2. by sax_a_gogo
        (23 posts)

18 years ago

Thanks for the link!

I did a srch and found this: www.saxontheweb.net/vbulletin/archive/index.php/t-7814.html" target="other">www.saxontheweb.net/vbulletin/archive/index.php/t-7814.html "I recently did a side-by-side between my 1962 99XXX VI tenor and a Reference 54....the 54 was a very playable horn with good intonation...but the VI has a bigger, more complex tone. I decided to keep the VI and let someone else play the 54." & "But (and no disrespect to you Ref 54 fans...) if that 5 digit plays like a 5 digit should, it will have a larger, darker, and ballsier sound than any Ref 54 you can get your hands on. And if it's a good MK VI, then the intonation will be no worse, and certainly the mechanics will be just as fast if not faster." "Here the wrench on Tenor Gentlemen. A Selmer Paris Series III with the Gold Brass Neck! It created the harmonic depth, warmth, resonance & complexity of a Reference or a good Mark VI. Yet, the power & intonation is absolutely unbelievable & adds to the mix, either with my vintage metal Otto Link or my SR Tech. Fusion Mouthpiece. I've owned two Mark VI's & played the Reference 54 for a week. The Series III w/the Gold Brass Neck is it." www.saxontheweb.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=34470" target="other">www.saxontheweb.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=34470 "stuffy" is good description of REF 54." "I tried a Selmer Super action 80 series II Tenor and a Selmer REf 54 Tenor. I liked the s-80 II better" ""Some say the Ref 54 tenor is stuffy... try a Ref 36. I have the latter and it's got a big, quite unique sound, not unfocused but just broader and more expressive than most others tenors..... I heard just the opposite...but like cake everybody has different taste and on different days...Sonny Rollins is said to play a ref 36..." "Same technician, same materials, same mouthpiece same reeds and four different players (two professional players and two students) trying and listening all of them: SA80II, REF54, MARKVI The SA80II played well (in particular with the ref neck), the Ref54 played very well, the VI played much much better. I sold my SA80II and bougth a VI." ----------------------- ----------------------- Plus a bunch of other comments. That Gold Brass Neck sounds like it's worth trying. I think all things considered, bang for the buck, a good vintage MkVI seems to be the way to go. Keeps its value as well. Now, I just have to get my hands on one to see if it's really true. Problem is, it's difficult at best to find one locally so I'll have to play the ebay game till i get a good one. Worked for flamenco guitar, but i had to go through a lot of 'good' ones to get a 'great' one. My guitar teacher flew to Ramirez in spain to hand pick his guitars. Only found one he really liked in the whole shop! And that had to be dragged from the back 'special' room. Guitars are much more finicky due to their wood variations and bracing. I'm surprised there are such differences in one model of sax, say the mark VI, as it's basically the same metal in a batch series and same specs. Should be identical, n'est pa? :) Stefan

Reply To Post

3. by sax_a_gogo
        (23 posts)

18 years ago

One more thing ....

I came across this post poking around and I think the guy hit the nail on the head. Craftsmanship.! When the hippies of the late 60's starting laying around and smoking pot instead of working, things got wierd. The 70's were wierd. Not much useful stuff seems to have come from that period. Looks like the late 50s early 60s were just turning out QUALITY items. The exact same era applies to Ramirez guitars from Spain. People seek the vintage guitars from the early 60s. I think to build the same horn now with the same craftsmanship and metal quality would cost double the $5,000 they sell for. You get what you pay for! Plus, if selmer admitted that they made the best horn in the 60s, their sales would plummet. Companies go out of business doing that. What they should do is what they're doing now with the ref series, make the same thing that they made well in the first place. Numbers game or quality product (or both)? ---------------- From www.saxontheweb.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=33283" target="other">www.saxontheweb.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=33283 : "Selmer can't match the VI of yesterday because they haven't been humble enough to admit that the direction they took their saxophone design in 1974 was the wrong direction" "how many have you played....Mark VI's? just curious the first one I ever saw or heard was in 1959....an alto in the 85XXX ser. number range. it was the most beautiful, elegant saxophone I had ever seen...there was nothing, absolutely nothing that came close to comparing to it. it's lacquer was dark, dark honey gold...a gold that's hard to describe, you just had to see it; the bell looked as if a master jeweler had engraved it....American flower, the fuller more extensive version. mother of pearl keys, brown resonators on the pads. think original Faberge egg made for Czars & you have the general idea....they were mostly hand made by Selmer's long time experienced craftsmen...and they were "to die for". that horn had a tone so buttery smooth & rich...thick & spread..drippng in emotion & feeling. out on the field if you really cut loose it could be heard above the enire band. it was Selmer's golden age. the brass content was different, the craftsmen were masters with years of experience....the years went by, the old gave way to the new both in personnel & material; new things were tried, long bow, medium bow....different shades of lacquer, different people built them, but they were still even later one of the best if not the best depending on the individual horn. no two were exactly alike...they weren't all great; but the ones that were/are still are today if they've been maintained.....it's when you play one of those that you realize & know the magic of the fabled Mark VI.....those are the ones searched for and sought after by players....many of the others end up with non playin collectors who haven't got a clue. they too are good horns, but not like the really good ones are. there is a difference. the tooling finally wore out and was sold to Yamaha...they used it to model their first pro horns on. the great Mark VI's of yesteryear cannot be remade, the craftsmen who made them are gone....everything changes, but in my opinion the new Reference 54 alto comes close, much closer than any of the other later models. hope this was of some little enlightenment." ------------------ I'm starting my shopping for a good MkVI I think. If it's no better than the S80 I have, I'll stick with it. Stefan

Reply To Post

4. by jamterry
        (573 posts)

18 years ago

Re: One more thing ....

That is the silliest thing i've read in a while. I have three Mk VI's, two of which I bought new. I certainly don't prance around blowing bubbles and throwing flowers at them. If you want one buy one. Don't buy a MK VI with high F# !!!! Calm down :) Terry

5. by sax_a_gogo
        (23 posts)

18 years ago

Thanks for the reality Check :)

So you don't agree with the quality of years gone by? :) Have you tried the Ref series or the S80 ser I I have? Curious if you have any input based on experience with those horns against the VI. Are yours alto/tenor? Oh ... and since we're on the topic, one more article I found which seems to cover it. Nice discussion of different types as well, not speaking of the VI soprano very favourably and gives the serie III and Ref the thumbs up. Yamaha 82Z as well, but I find that hard to believe until I try one.

Reply To Post

6. by CountSpatula
        (602 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Thanks for the reality Check :)

Well some things i've noticed... A good Mark VI cost like $6000? A reference is $4000, and the reference was made similar to the Mark VI, except better intonation. But its not as good as the mark VI, but tuning is better. I've also read profesionals tried it and the only one who said it wasn't as good as the mark VI was David Sanborn (And i look up to him=)) Also Mark VI's are so hard to find...and a lot have been relaqured... But back on subject, I think different horns are meant for different people. You might try out a ref or mark vi and still think the horn you have now is better.

Reply To Post AIM

7. by blackfrancis
        (396 posts)

18 years ago

"Different horns are for different people." Well said, Count. "Power is nothing without control." Also well said. I might add King Super 20 to your power list, and the reminder that control is a major function of the player. All said, though, a good Mk. VI is a sweet horn!

Reply To Post

8. by garyhonor
        (1 post)

17 years ago

Here's my thoughts on Selmer and their saxes:- It's going to be long but if you don't own a selmer then you should read this: I've played and owned these horns of the last 20 years: Super Balanced Alto and Tenor Mark VI Alto and Tenor Mark VII Alto and Tenor Super Action 80 Serie II Alto and Tenor Super Action 80 Serie III Alto and Tenor Out of those I still own and play only the Mark VI's. Here's why: The Mark VII's had issues with sloppy big action and tuning problems in different registers. Great big sound though. The Serie II's were great horns but not excellent. They were heavy and bright and but solidy constructed. The Serie III's were terrible. They had sloppy action and even after I had my repair guy look at them I still wasn't satified. The tenor also had a major problem with the altisimo just over the break from high F# up. If you play rock or jazz look out for this if you're thinking of buying one of these. The altisimo will bottom out on you. My repair guy said Selmer had really over looked when they messed with the bore shape. Here's another problem with them - ever since the Mark VI in the 70's the brass they use has been getting softer and so the keys feel spongey. Also, I managed to accidentally bend both the Alto and Tenor neck without much pressure just from playing. The metal is just too soft. Plus Selmer had gotten cheap on the engraving and and added bracing on the neck. I'm sure they'd just say it was to enhance resonance or something but I just think they were trying to cut some corners. Another stupid thing Selmer did was add more keywork to the serie III. They tried to compensate for some minor tuning issue between different registers on the C key. It was stupid. It was just another place for the horn to a leak . plus it made the horn heavier and made the octave key feel more sluggish. Next I owned the Super Balanced horns - The tenor was amazing and I loved it. the action was a little old-school but it was solid and it was refreshing after playing the serie III. The whole horn felt solid and the notes popped out easily. The only problem here was that I had a horn that had already done many miles... and was looking a bit sad. My repair guy was concerned about a few rods and wear to some of the body. I also was having issues with the reverse thumb octave mechanism as it was a bit uncomfortable for me. The alto was much like the tenor only there were some obvious tuning issues in the high register. Now the Mark VI was next and was definitely the best. Both the horn were early VI's one being 1956 and the other 1961. Only reason I say this is because this makes a difference. I also had a later 1974 mark VI but it didn't messure up to the earlier ones. The Super Balanced and the VI both had equally great sounds to them. The exception being that the VI had fixed the intonation problems I had and had the more modern keywork. - but not too modern. The modern you go the sloppier the action got after the Mark VI and also the more spongey (probably due to the brass they used) Also the keywork seemed to be in the just the right place to develop great technique. The keys seemed close and solid and the tone cups seemed to be cast rather than pressed. This to me seems to make a difference. Even the new Reference 54s still don't have this. AND it does make a difference to the action and feel to the horn. THe later Mark VIs started to be produced with pressed tone hole key cups and I could really feel the difference. Also the early VI's had some steel rods to reinforce the horn in vulnerable areas (like the join to the neck and the side F key etc..) So there it is: The early Mark VI wins for me. That's why everyone loves them who own them. I've recently played the new Reference 54 Kookaburra and I was reasonably happy. THey don't have the response, tone or feel of the original Mark VI. they kind of look like they should but they don't they are a great horn but they are still not a mark VI. I was mostly disappointed with the action but they were certainly brighter and harsher than any early mark VI I've played. I will say that Selmer have definitely crawled back a few places in my books as far as the horns they make these days with these reference horns though. I hope this helps someone.

Reply To Post

9. by cuber
        (653 posts)

16 years ago

One of the big reasons why the mkVII was a dud was because the horn was designed for people with big hands. it was difficult for students and some women (im not being sexist, just women typically have smaller hands then men) it was difficult to reach some of the keys. I know several people who have played both for a while, and they think the early VIIs sound better than the later VIs. about the tuning issue, if you sit down and do a couple long tone excersises it should fix that (with your tuner at that)

Reply To Post

10. by kelsey
        (930 posts)

16 years ago

Everybody needs to learn to play what they have and quit looking for that Super Horn that plays itself. I have both a Mark Vl tenor and alto and am well satisfied with both horns. They were both made in the early 70s. I wouldn't know what year if I hadn't been reading this blog. I agree with the guy who wrote that everyone has a concept in their head of what a saxophone should sound like, and if they work at it long enough thats the sound that will come out the horn. Talent plus lots of work equals a good sax player. I heard guys play old Conns, new Yamahas and whatever and still sound good. But thats just me..........Kelsey
        Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

11. by sax_a_gogo
        (23 posts)

16 years ago

Super Horn vs Super Player

There is no doubt that being a good player overshadows using a good horn. That said, a great player will sound that much better on a great horn. Same goes for pretty much any instrument except the voice. That one you're stuck with :) I'm no superstar, but I know my tone is worse on a student yamaha than on my selmer S80. I even hear a difference between the US selmers and the Paris ones. I assume it's metal composition. Even my friends comment on the awesome Selmer tone, and they don't play sax.

Reply To Post

12. by sax_a_gogo
        (23 posts)

16 years ago

MKVII keys awkward

I agree. I test drove a MkVII back in late 80s. I ended up with a super action 80 series I, because the VII just felt awkward for fingering. I guess you need REALLY big hands, because I'm a man and my hands are not 'small'. I found the S80 suited me just fine. Have yet to get my paws on a MkVI to compare.

Reply To Post

13. by sax_a_gogo
        (23 posts)

16 years ago

Thanks for the insights!

Gary, super response and what I've been waiting for over a year. It's another case of a product not improving over the years. Now what about re-laquered MKVI's? Does the laquering process have any impact?

Reply To Post

3. by carltonjazz
      (25 posts)

16 years ago

I own 2 Mark VIs and love them. but i also own Yanis, and other vintage selmers. I can get my sound on any saxophone. The old selmers are just nice to have

Reply To Post

1. by chalazon
        (547 posts)

16 years ago

I have a MKVI alto from '72..I love it.

Reply To Post

1. by cuber
          (653 posts)

16 years ago

to who said the horn affects how everybody sounds, and this horn sounds "better" than that horn, i have 2 words for you CHARLIE PARKER

Reply To Post

1. by jakethesax
            (1 post)

16 years ago

OK, mk vi's, bear in mind my experience is with mainly tenors here.. I have 2 mk vi tenors, 160xxx and 132xx, the later model is louder and beefier, the earlier model is a little quieter but sweeter.. I've had a few mk vi's they all tend towards the same kind of sound and the differences are subtle.. (I've had a 77xxx, and a couple of later horns.. the models around 160xx tend to me to be more forcefull and have a huge sound.. the 77xxx was not much different apart from it was worth loads more (which is why I sold it!) Now, I also have a '39 conn 10m which sounds awesomely sweet, and is capable of real dynamic change, a Buescher '49 Beuscher top hat (a bit like a super balanced action in tone, great for ballads and jazz, and big band stuff, and oh so beautiful!), a '69 king silversonic, which is my universal favourite, poky, ballsy, great for modern music, and what I do... That said, they all have amazing qualities, and are, in good hands, more than capable of almost anything.. I'd be hard pressed if I had to choose only one of them! Now.. The mark vi I take for quieter gigs, or for situations where I'm not sure where I'll need to go (musically).. I suppose my personal favourite(the one I use more than the rest is the King (which is the horn I personally get the best reaction and comments on), but I use the mk vi a lot too and it has that sound that I was bought up hearing on those 60's jazz records, which is incredibly familiar, and very comfortable.. There are also great horns by Yanagisawa (try the 9932z, I have an alto, and nothing compares to the power and quality of intonation) yamaha customs are amazing, and I really like the Mauriats too.. My point? A good horn is a good horn, try a few, and buy what feels good.. Dont believe (all) of the hype.. A great saxophone in any of the above models is a great saxophone full stop.. Do bear in mind though that you can sell a mk vi very quickly, whilst not loosing (buy sensibly) money.. And most quality vintage horns if looked after appreciate in value.. New horns halve in value more or less as soon as you leave the shop! (But can be replaced relatively painlessly), and often are in much better condition if you buy decent instruments, with a good setup.. Also, I think it takes a while to play them in, so give them time..

Reply To Post

2. by aschiavi
            (3 posts)

16 years ago

I have played many MKVI of different years. I have found absolutly no consistency. The truth is that you build a relationship with the horn you have. If you started out with a quality horn, you will develop a relationship with it and over time discover its nuances and if you work hard, you will have the sound and the technique you are lookin for. I settled on an early MKVII (alto) finally. I was sitting in with a band in Cuba (yes Cuba) this past month and played a 1950's MKVI which was an amazing horn, but it was not mine and I could not do what I normally do. AS far as sopranos go, I think they are so finicky that you really need to play many vintage ones to find an acceptable match or just go with technology and get a Yanagisawa Bronze. Truly exceptional!

Reply To Post