Saxophone Forum

by FocalSepsis
(1 post)
18 years ago

Transcribing

I am new to playing saxophone and don't have much experience with music. I would like to ask how to transcribe Eb Baritone and Alto and Bb Tenor to guitar. Thanks.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Sax Mom
    (964 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Transcribing

I believe you mean transpose. Transcribe means to figure something out by ear, then write it down. Transpose is to change the key so that the different instruments can play in harmony. For Tenor (and soprano), you need to play one whole step higher than the guitar in order to come out on the same note. Therefore, if the guitar is playing in the key of G (one sharp) you would play in the key of A (two sharps). If guitar is in Bb (two flats) you would play in the key of C (no flats). For Alto and Bari, you need to play a minor third lower than the guitar. If the guitar is playing in the key of G (one sharp) you would play in the key of E (four sharps). If the guitar is playing in the key of Bb (two flats) then you will play in the key of G (one sharp). I hope this is helpful for you.

Reply To Post

1. by Sax Mom
      (964 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Transcribing

Oops! meant to say the key of A is Three sharps--it was a mistake to say two!!!

Reply To Post