Saxophone Forum

by bibbage
(22 posts)
18 years ago

Playing with a new reed!!

Hi, I have been playing for about a year now and as I am off work at the moment I've been practising for about an hour each day. My playing has improved quite a bit over the past 2 months while I've been off. However the reed I have been using finally split so I got 2 new ones (vandoren 2.5) the same make and grade as the old one. I have tried both these reeds and it seems as if I'm starting from scratch again with lots of squeaks when the previous reed would have coped. I have to play very carefully, but it still squeaks for some reason on lots of notes. It's a bit dissapointing as I was so pleased that I was improving. My setup is YAS62, 4c and rovner lig. One thought I've had is could the old reed have been a different grade to that indicated, if so would it be best for me to get some softer or harder reeds? I hope this all makes sense, any advice appreciated. Bibbage

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by definition
    (963 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Playing with a new reed!!

Its wood, so none of them are identical, just similar. You just got a bad reed, go get another one and slap that on there

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by pbeverly
    (7 posts)

18 years ago

Whenever I buy new reeds, i sand them before using them. I get a VERY fine grit sandpaper, and I mean VERY FINE GRIT. The sandpaper I get is black and to the touch, you really don't feel the grit. I lay the reed on it and move it in a circular direction until it feels silky smooth. I learned this in a Master Class type ThingyPooter in High School or from a Sax Professor in college. That was long ago so I am not sure where I actually learned it.

Reply To Post

1. by jamterry
      (573 posts)

18 years ago

Beverly do you put salt on your food before you taste it?

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by Sax Mom
        (964 posts)

18 years ago

Jamterry, My dad always did. He said putting salt on after you taste the food is an insult to the cook. Putting it on before you taste the food says that you generally prefer more salt than the average person. I understood his logic, but I only add salt if it's needed, after I taste the food!!!

Reply To Post

1. by jamterry
          (573 posts)

18 years ago

Saxmom you are precious !!!!! I enjoy your posts :) Terry

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

2. by pbeverly
        (7 posts)

18 years ago

What does this have to do with the price of tea in China?

Reply To Post

1. by definition
          (963 posts)

18 years ago

nothing to do with tea in china, this is being forced on us though by the King of Sweeden!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

3. by bibbage
        (22 posts)

18 years ago

Hi Beverly, I found some of the paper you are referring to in my garage (we call it Wet and Dry in the UK) and I tried it on one of the bad reeds and as you say it make it very smooth, it now plays fine. It's funny because the reed which split was very smooth from the box, but the others were quite rough. So thanks for the tip. By the way I don't use salt, it's not good for the heart and theres enough of it in food anyway! Thanks Bibbage

Reply To Post

1. by pbeverly
          (7 posts)

18 years ago

Bibbage, Glad is helped. I too use no salt. I even buy No Sodium Added ketchup!

Reply To Post

2. by notlegit
          (11 posts)

18 years ago

Bibbage-- I hear your pain. I have only been playing a few months now but anyways........ I purchased a box of 10 La Voz mediums. The quality in box varies greatly. Some of them play very well and some of them play horribly. I had my teacher try my horn with one of the bad reeds and it squeeked for him as well, and he never squeeks. My suggestion is buy reeds 10 at a time and toss the ones that dont start performing for you after about 30 minutes of doing long tones and scales. Learning to play the Sax is enough without stuggling with bad reeds. my two cents. Craig

Reply To Post

1. by CountSpatula
            (602 posts)

18 years ago

I dont think la voz reeds are well known for lasting long...I use to use them on my metal mouthpiece but I found my 2 1/2 java vandorens were a lot better than MH La Voz...and I cant even use them on my Vandoren (Jumbo) java probably cuz its a vandoren mouthpiece... And the sandpaper thing...I learned that in the 6th grade :P The way I learned was sand it till its smooth, set it in water tip down(Like the container that holds film for cameras) and wait untill the other side gets wet (will turn darker) Then just take it out and Rub your thumb across it...basically because my teacher told me sanding it opens the tiny tubes in it and the heat from your thumb helps seal it up and hold water in it... Tyler

Reply To Post AIM