Saxophone Forum

by cyril_271
(2 posts)
18 years ago

help, buying a new alto sax !

hi !! i've been practising the saxophone (ALTO) for now 6 years, and i'd like to buy an new alto sax, but i don't know anything about prices etc... I've been proposed an old Selmer MARK 7 (1985) for 1600 € (about 1900 $), which has been renovated etc.. And a selmer II nd serie SuperAction 80 (1988) for 1700 €, which is also in a good state Do you think they are good offers ?? Which one should I buy ?? I'd like a good sax, not exceptionnal, but which could last long. Is it ok even if it's already very old ?? Thanx in advance !

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Sax Mom
    (964 posts)

18 years ago

Re: help, buying a new alto sax !

My Alto is from the 40's! (It's older than I am.) My impression is that the Super-Action 80 would be a better bet than the Mark 7, but those with more first-hand knowledge should chime in on this one.

Reply To Post

1. by chiamac
      (586 posts)

18 years ago

is there any way to try these horns in person? either one would be great, and those prices don't seem very out of line at all. (well either one would be great IF they played well and sounded good)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by barisax999
    (400 posts)

18 years ago

the mark VII isnt a horrible deal. the thing with VII's are they are very hit and miss. one will be good, and the other will be total crap, so you have to play it and see, check the intonation. on the super action, you could probably get a newer one for just a little bit more money. check out saxalley.com he has some and they are very good ones, i have played on them. but if you go series II, get more recent, they havent changed much over the years and the odds are, they'll be in better shape

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by cyril_271
      (2 posts)

18 years ago

thanks guys ! (sorry, the mark VII is 1975.) so you think i should buy a newer one and it would be not really more expensive ? that means 1700€ is too much for a 18 yr old SA80 serie II? and what can you advice for a sax between 1000 and 1500 € ? and are Kreiwerts good (i'm not sure of the spelling)? i find them nice-looking but do they sound well ? i've never played on one... thanx !!

Reply To Post

1. by barisax999
        (400 posts)

18 years ago

is it keilwerth? is so, they are good. not as much on alto(in my opinion), but tenors are really good

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by llehctiMnairB
      (18 posts)

18 years ago

The Mark 7 is an ok deal, but they all play very diffrently. You might get a great one, but the one next to it could be horrible. A Series II and Super action are very good. If kept in good condition, they should play equally among many horns and last for a long time. It is also a god deal for 1700.

Reply To Post AIM