Saxophone Forum

by saxs_make_it_happen
(42 posts)
18 years ago

could alto's play that low back then???

www.music-scores.com/skill/composer2.php?skill=9&name=Alto%20sax Ok click on listen... I see where the guy lived from 1782-1840, was there saxes back then that could play that low at measure 19 and 17 !?!?! thats insane! it says alto sax too. I'm confused.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by knorter
    (205 posts)

18 years ago

Re: could alto's play that low back then???

The Caprice was probably written for violin. The saxophone was invented after Paganini died. Lots of classical music for saxophone is transposed from other instruments' music. Bad editing of the music done by someone who doesn't know or care about the range of the instrument he or she is transposing for is probably what happened here.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by saxs_make_it_happen
      (42 posts)

18 years ago

cool, that makes sense. sounds fun to play though.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by Dave Dix
        (421 posts)

18 years ago

Knorter must be correct , an octave under low C on an alto!!!! Has to be a large alto as this note is the same as a bari low C (written an octave higher of course) Dave

Reply To Post

1. by Sax Mom
          (964 posts)

18 years ago

If you listen to it, and then find the note on an alto, you'll find that the whole thing is written an octave away from where it sounds. Play the whole thing an octave higher, and it'll come out fine...of course, altissimo is in order!

Reply To Post

2. by Dave Dix
          (421 posts)

18 years ago

My mistake, the lowest note is C# and the highest , if going up an octave would be F# 3 dave

Reply To Post